1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Phonics lessons - mixed-ability - Y1

Discussion in 'Primary' started by giraffe77, Mar 11, 2012.

1. Bumpitty-bump! :)

2. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

I would carry on teaching at phase 5 level and using the revise part of the session to recap on the phase 2 and 3 phonemes.

Maybe take a lesson a week to totally focus on phase 4 blending and segmenting skills.

Children don't actually NEED to learn the GPC in the exact order prescribed by L&S, a different order is fine.

3. modgepodge

modgepodge Established commenter

I'm in a similar situation. I have 5 children who are on phase 3 (know all the single letter GPCs, but very very few of the digraphs), and the rest I'm teaching at phase 5 level (having only taken over the class at Xmas, I have to confess I've not assessed them at this level, but was told that's where they are and they seem to cope in phonics). The phase 3 children go out with a TA for 3 lessons per week to learn the digraphs and trigraphs - sh, th, ch, ai, oi, air etc. One session per week there's no choice but for them to remain with me as timetabling means I have no TA during that time. I just try to support them a little more during those sessions. 2 of them cope, 3 of them it's way over their heads tbh. For one session a week we set the 2 Y1 classes into 3 groups, with the other teacher taking the bottom 10ish children, an HLTA taking the middle group and revising phase 4 with them and me taking the top group and doing further phase 5 stuff with them - I kind of use this as more of a grammer type "how to write a sentence" session as it's a longer session.

4. When letters and sounds first came out there was a lot of emphasis on putting children into same phase groups but, in my LA at least, they are now saying it is better to teach to the whole class.

I have a similar situation to yourself, although it is with a Year 8 class in a special school. I was advised to teach the Phase 5 phonemes to the whole class but this often incorporates revision of phase 3 graphemes/phonemes anyway as a lot of phase 5 seems to be about making choices between alternative spellings or pronunciations. For example, I teach igh and i-e to the whole class but then in the practise part of the sessions, pupils do work at the correct phase, eg on igh only if they are working in phase three, or on i-e too for phase 5.

With regard to phase 4, as this is mainly about reading and spelling words with adjacent consonants, suitable words can usually be included when teaching phase 3 or phase 5.

It doesn't always work perfectly but I certainly prefer it to when I used to split the class up into three or four different groups and could only work with one at a time.

5. With regard to activities, the more hands on the better. All children should be actively involved as much as possible. Singing songs is good. Writing on individual whiteboards is an obvious way to get all children involved.

I like using games from letters-and-sounds.com - though this only works well if you use it for a very short period as a whole class or can get children working on it in pairs on laptops. This site also has silly questions that are useful for the reading application section.

Kinaesthetic activities always seem to go down well with children so try these.

I know not everyone likes the letters-and-sounds document but I've always found it a good source of ideas for activities. I'm just selective about which ones will work for my class.