1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Phonics lesson in the afternoon? Good idea or not...?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by fruit_bat, Mar 25, 2012.

1. fruit_bat

fruit_bat New commenter

Hi all,
    It's been a funny old year with regards to our timetable. It was changed dramatically at the start of the year so that Key Stage 1 had a different break time to the rest of the school. It was timetabled that Years 1 and 2 (2 form entry) would stream for phonics and would have a lesson every day 9:00 till 9:30.

Anyway it hasn't worked so we've asked the head if we can change the break time back and have our daily phonics lesson from 1:10 - 1:30. She isn't keen as she thinks phonics won't be as effective if taught in the afternoon as the children are not 'fresh'. At the moment tho we are teaching maths or literacy in the afternoon anyway because of our timetable.

So what do people think? Is phonics more effective in the mornings? Or does the time of it not matter?

Thanks!

2. sara2323

sara2323 New commenter

In my placement school they had always taught phonics in the afternoon, straight after dinner. It was effective because most of the children were on the correct phases (they followed the letters and sounds programme).

3. I always do it in the last session of the day, followed by guided reading. Ideally i'd like to do it in the mornings but what with assembly and playtime, I have less than an hour for Literacy and Numeracy as it is and feel like if I squeezed phonics in as well we'd have very little time to actually do any work!

4. fruit_bat

fruit_bat New commenter

sara2323 we to follow the Letters and Sounds program and we feel that it is working really well.
    Impulce - I know what you mean about squeezing it in. That's how we feel. With the ever growing demands on what we need to teach we are finding it very difficult to get everything in there. I think I am just going to have to say to the HT that it is the only way we will be able to get everything in to the timetable.
    Thanks for the replies!!

5. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

I do phonics at the start of literacy. I do the revise and teach part as a starter type thing. The children do practise and apply activities independently during the literacy hour (well they usually do. Sometimes they just don't and I find it very hard to care!)

But yes fitting it all in with the ever more prescriptive orders from above is a nightmare. We now have handwriting, phonics, and gr to fit in daily, supposedly on top of literacy and numeracy hours. After the holiday we are no longer allowed to have literacy as part of our topic and have been given texts to use with our classes in literacy lessons. Heaven knows where history and geography knowledge will fit if we can't do it through literacy!

6. fruit_bat

fruit_bat New commenter

Minnieminx - how do you fit it all in?! So you don't set for your phonics then? Is it difficult to get a phonics activity suitable for all the different phases. How long do you do your daily handwriting for? We have been told that this will be a focus next term. Lots of questions there :)
    I just don't know how to fit it all in!! I only do guided reading 3 times a week as I can't physically fit it in anywhere else. All we seem to do is literacy and numeracy!!

7. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

I fit it in at the moment, but teaching geography and history through literacy lessons. And by having the odd day of DT here and there. Haven't a clue next term though! But I'm trying to give up caring for lent...

I like phonics with my class, much easier to reinforce in other lessons. We used to set and it drove me nuts. No harder to differentiate for phonics than for maths.