1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Phonics Interview Lesson. Please help!

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by Jseear1, Feb 15, 2012.

1. Hi all,

Really hoping there's someone out there who can give me some advice.

I have an interview for a Reception post next week and need to teach a phonics lesson as part of this. All I've been told by the school is this:

I'll be teaching 10 children
    The lesson last 25 minutes
    The children have just started working in Phase 2
    There is a Smartboard and a range of resources available (which I can request to have prepared in advance)

As its half term I'm not able to ask any more before the interview date (there's just not enough time)so I don't know which sets of letters/sounds the children have learnt so far. I know the school are really looking for someone who can accurately assess and extend the learners well and I'm wondering how to do this if I don't know more details...

I know interview lessons are generally about how you develop relationships and show care for teaching, as well as communicate expectations, but I'm just worried I won't be pitching the lesson correctly and that it won't follow the system letters and sounds does.

If anyone experienced in being interviewed for reception posts and in teaching phonics is reading this then please help!

What would you do?

2. Hi - I am no expert but I think I would be thinking along these lines...
    I think I would try and follow a routine for the lesson.
    Possibly before that you could assess by playing a quick game - 'Eye Spy' with objects in the middle of a circe beginning with each of P2 sounds - play it orally then ask them to place on letter cards - assuming school has followed the order it should give you some idea of their GPC knowledge??
    THEN
    - revisit/review - using fashcards - the tricky bit is knowing how far in P2 they are - www.phonicsplay.co.uk - speed trials allow you to use IT effectively and this could be done twice in a beat the team type way - 2 groups of 5 chidren- which group gets the highest score
    Teach - a new letter- using your initial game to help pitch which letter - do they use Jolly Phonics to introuce action?
    Practice - blending and segmenting - have one and two syllable words to extend
    Then apply - teams again - sorting words into sentence order

Hope this helps or starts your thinking process
    x

3. cariad2

cariad2 New commenter

I don't have any advice for the lesson (sorry!), but I would be asking exactly when children began phase 2, and if there was any particular reason why it was so late.
    I began teaching letter recognition, blending to read and segmenting to spell as soon as our home visits and staggered entry had finished. By Christmas, I'd taught all the Jolly Phonics sounds.
    If these children had only just started Phase 2, then they seem to have wasted a lot of time.