1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Phonics Intervention for Year 3

Discussion in 'Primary' started by GrahamAlmond, Feb 15, 2016.

1. GrahamAlmond

GrahamAlmond New commenter

We have been using Read Write Inc Phonics for our Year 3 children who have gaps in their phonetic knowledge with excellent results. Some groups are coming to the end of the RWI programme. We are not a "RWI" school and have just used this as an intervention. Is anyone in a similar position? What do you use for those children who still need some extra support?

I have seen the RWI Spelling for the new curriculum has an online element which we would be unlikely to buy in as a whole school as we are using No Nonsense Spelling as a framework for spelling lessons for all children. Was considering using the Y2 programme from this scheme to support children who need it?

What do others do?

2. blueskies31

blueskies31 Occasional commenter

We used Letters and Sounds for KS2 but I think it's less important to think of a scheme and think of what it is the pupils need to learn. If pupils have got to Y3 with gaps in phonics you need to think why that is ( I'm not saying that is uncommon). Was the pace too fast during whole class phonics lessons for these pupils, do they learn in a different way (and therefore you need to teach in a different way) or do they need lots of over learning and revision?

3. lardylegs

lardylegs Occasional commenter

Yes, do what you said, use the programme from the year below from NNS, that's what we do. If they are too thick (below ARE, sure to CATCH UP by the end of the year, natch..) for the current year, just do the one below.

4. whitestag

whitestag Senior commenter

So I'm not the only one who thinks that if they get to Y3 and they can't read or spell, then phonics clearly hasn't worked for them!

Is rote learning of words not fashionable anymore?

5. Mrdjh

Mrdjh New commenter

I don't think this kind of language is acceptable to describe learners.