1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Phonics in Reception

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by parachute89, May 7, 2019.

1. parachute89

parachute89 New commenter

I’m in reception. For the application part of a phonics lesson, do you have phonics-related activities (differentiated) around the class for children to do? I’m currently looking at changing my timetable and would like to know how other reception teachers do phonics lessons in their settings at this time of year.

At the moment I do not stream my class- I revisit and introduce as a whole class, then each day of the week my ta will take different groups of children to work with to target their specific next steps for phonics. Does this sound like the best way to do it to you? I used to stream at my old school but always felt it was quite restrictive to them.

Thank you.

2. ChristinaMeakin

ChristinaMeakin New commenter

I stream phonics and don't do a whole class teach because of the variety of ability. I have found this great for targeting next steps and giving children more time to embed learning when they need it. It's also allowed me to teach a group of children ready for phase 4. I have split my phonics groups into 4 groups (they are differing sizes). My TA works with two groups and I have two groups. Children not working in a group access independent activities and are exposed to ARE resources, so it's not restrictive.