1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Phonics in Reception - books?

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by newgreenteacher, Jun 24, 2011.

1. Hi
    i will be new to Reception next year. Regarding phonics- I understand the teaching of each phase and the importnce of aural recognition but I wonder who uses books to support children to recognise and use GPC's
    EG If using Jolly Phonics I thought it would be useful to learn the action and recognise theletter - various activities eg S - Stick the JP pic in our phonic book, practice writing, verbally name things beginning with s - possibly with pics to support if children of low language ability Draw one of our contributions 'sun' then attempt to label. All on a doublepage spread

What do people think? Obviously there would be differentition for those unready for writing /more able
    I am wondering if this is too much for R - working in groups of 6 approx with adult
    Any advise/experienced practioners?
    Thanks in advance

2. Msz

Msz Established commenter

Usually children have a "sound book" with the letter and action which they take home each night to practise. In addition they usually complete the writing sheet - sound, action, story picture and letter formation which they take home. We also complete a rainbow letter which we also send home.

3. Thanks Msz - wht do you mean 'rainbow letter'
    Not sure if parents would send the sound book home .
    Do you group your children by ability - how soon do you begin actual GPC work with a new intake?
    Ta xx

4. I have gone even further than the 'sound book' - building on the notion of it - but including cumulative words to blend, handwriting, phonemic awareness, drawing and spelling-with-editing.
    This 'Activity Sheet' idea also involves sending it back and forwards to home as part of the book-bag routine.
    I wouldn't differentiate by leaving any children out of the Activity Sheet routine - this can create special needs and the quicker-to-learn children will race ahead. The children can access the activities at their own level and speed - with the supervision focused on the children most needing support and extra teaching.
    This is what I call 'core fit-for-purpose' teaching and learning. I suspect fewer-than-ever schools follow the sounds book routine which Jolly Phonics has promoted. In which case, what a shame.

5. What can be more fit-for-purpose than core activity and application paper and pencil routines?
    Sadly, we have an anti paper culture (anti worksheets) and everywhere children seem to be learning to write on mini whiteboards scrunched up on the floor with marker pens.
    Hmm.......

6. Msz

I've been using JP sound books since 1994(ish) and very few parents fail to practise sounds or return books IME. Parents like being involved and the system enables them to participate fully.
    No I don't group by ability and I teach at pace - 5 sounds a week from the first week which may not be realistic in every class.

7. Msz

Debbie I've just ordered some of your Sound & Letter books for reception (alphabetic code charts and flash cards for all classes) and Y1 teachers book so I'm expecting great things next year [​IMG]

8. Oh wow! That is a compliment indeed coming from you![​IMG]
    I do hope that you will oversee that teachers use the Activity Sheets as well as the other resources.
    I am finding when I visit schools that there is a tendency to use all the FP Sounds and Letters resources but not the Activity Sheets! Yet these are the resource where children, each child, needs to 'learn' the focus correspondence and practise those core skills.
    The schools describe to me a quick and noticeable rise in standards - but I suspect that they could get better still standards and they could get handwriting off the ground if they fully follow the guidance and the structure of the programme.
    I, like any other programme writer, urge teachers to actually read the Handbooks and absorb the advice!
    You will note that I have a different suggestion to vertical grouping - and I know that you might be interested in that, Msz![​IMG]
    Also, I trust your feedback and value it. I really look forward to your comments in the not-too-distant future!!!

9. Msz

I look forward to delivery [​IMG]