1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Phonics in EYFS

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by lillipad, Nov 9, 2015.

1. lillipad

lillipad New commenter

Hi everyone,

I am new to my post as Literacy subject leader and I was hoping you might be able to give me an idea of how phonic sessions are run in the EYFS? I am in year 3 and so I do teach phonics but imagine this to be a different approach to EYFS. I ask as I will soon be going in to observe and it would be helpful to know what other people do.

Thank you.

2. Sillow

Sillow Lead commenter

Hi Lillipad! I'm new to Reception this year but we recapped Phase 1, have taught Phase 2 and are moving onto Phase 3. We use Jolly Phonics and follow the RTPA format. Quick flashcards or sing one of the Jolly Songs for revise, then teach the new sound with songs, Mr Thorne Does Phonics, everyone writing in the air. Practise is often moving around the carpet space doing a game (often from Letters and Sounds) or going into the playground to write big versions of the new grapheme with chalk. Then the application is writing CVC words using that sound, or spotting it in a sentence, or making words with magnetic letters or something like that.

Repetition is obviously key. One day a week we look at tricky words or HFWs. Lots of practise at the moment of aurally blending and segmenting and, for those who can do that, reading and writing using the same strategies.

I hope that helps. I could be doing it wrong for all I know! :)

3. Msz

Msz Established commenter

It really depends on the phonics programme used by your school. Our phonics sessions would look very different to Sillow's.

4. frustum

frustum Star commenter

Wouldn't it be more useful to ask your EYFS about what they do, what concerns they have, and anything they would find it useful for you to focus on in your observation.
    Making comparisons with what's done in a couple of random schools you've read about on a forum is not going to be particularly useful.