1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Phonics ideas please!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by lauren86, Jan 10, 2010.

1. At my school 2 days every week are focussing only on phonics. That means I need to teach 1 hour each day of just phonics (the school uses LCP based on Letters and Sounds).

I struggle to make phonics interesting when it's only 20 minutes so I'm keen to know of any suggestions to make it a better lesson for everybody! Ideally I need a bit of teaching time and then maybe a class activity before working at tables individually.

This week, for example, Monday is teaching the alternative pronunciations of u as in under. So it can also be u in push + bull, u in union + human. Tuesday is then alternative ow - ow in low + grow, ow in cow + brown.

Any suggestions would be very much appreciated!

2. At my school 2 days every week are focussing only on phonics. That means I need to teach 1 hour each day of just phonics (the school uses LCP based on Letters and Sounds).

I struggle to make phonics interesting when it's only 20 minutes so I'm keen to know of any suggestions to make it a better lesson for everybody! Ideally I need a bit of teaching time and then maybe a class activity before working at tables individually.

This week, for example, Monday is teaching the alternative pronunciations of u as in under. So it can also be u in push + bull, u in union + human. Tuesday is then alternative ow - ow in low + grow, ow in cow + brown.

Any suggestions would be very much appreciated!

3. comenius

comenius New commenter

If you leave your e-mail or message it to me I can send you a booklet on additional activities for phase 5 and 6. They are interactive games that can be adapted really easily.

4. comenius

comenius New commenter

just sent it

5. sillysausage21

sillysausage21 New commenter

I'd love to see that too please...just started in a yr2 class where they don't appear to have been doing any phonics!
    Thank you!

6. Is the LCP scheme any good? Is it worth investing in? Or are there any free resources on the internet?
    Any ideas appreciated.

7. We have the LCP pack too, but don't follow it prescriptively. I have a good CD which I think I bought from ebay that has a range of resources for use with phase 5. I will look it out and try to give you more info about it.
    I often begin with a smartboard/powerpoint activity introducing the sound or making the children investigate the differences in alternative pronounciations. They often use their whiteboards during this time to write words or sort them into groups.
    Activities can be wide ranging - sometimes we start with word lists and the children work in pairs dictating words to their partners who write the words in the sand, shaving foam, with playdo, with string, using magnetic letters, gel packs, etc. . . . (this gives good opportunity for peer assessment)
    Sometimes, I make cut and stick type activities, sometimes I ask the children to work in pairs/groups to produce sentences or stories using the words.
    They could use newspapers, books, mags to find words that fit the sound/spelling for that day.
    These are just some of the ideas I use most often, but there are tons of other things that could be done. Hope that gives you some ideas.

I would really appreciate the booklet too, if possible! heatherf13@hotmail.com

8. comenius

comenius New commenter

you both have mail

9. Those are some great ideas thanks. I love the idea of using playdough and shaving gel!!

Would really appreciate that booklet. My email is sparkle_star@hotmail.com . Thank you v much!!

10. comenius

comenius New commenter

you both have mail

11. Have you found the phonics play wesite? it doesnt have much for P5 alternative pronunciations but could be useful to leave on IWB for LA to revise.
    I tend to leave out phonics games after i played them, buried treasure, sentence substitution etc with whiteboards. I got a big booklet of P5+6 game ideas from an LEA course i went on, the children love the lillypad game. Children sit in a circle and are 'baby frogs' all holding a phoneme card. Lillypads with focus sounds are in the middle of the circle and you tell mum frog the word to be spelt (e.g. 'human' using your example) and mum has to find the right baby frogs and lillypad and arrange them to spell the right word.
    Maybe you could have tables set up and rotate? do you have continuous provision or all children working at once?
    The developping literacy phonics books are ok if you need something structured and recorded...i got to the stage of photocopying whiteboards and printing photos of work too much and drove me mad its took too long! Do a little bit more varied now to save me photocopying everything [​IMG]
    I also got a CD on ebay with a ton of P5 powerpoints etc on, was fab and collegues have borrowed it many times. [​IMG]

Could i take a look at your P5+6 booklet too? Sounds similar to my one but hoping it might be different with fresh ideas in!!! :D
    hpycroft@hotmail.com

12. chocoholic1

chocoholic1 New commenter

Please could I have your booklet too? I've just taken over phase 5 & 6 phonics, and I'm struggling to think of good ideas for this stage.

13. chocoholic1

chocoholic1 New commenter

ooops, leaving my email address might be a good idea.
    fryerkaren@hotmail.com

14. comenius

comenius New commenter

hpycroft - I think it may be the same booklet as it has the lillypad game in! I'll e-mail it you anyway just in case!
    You both have mail

15. ah yes it is the same one - thankyou! its always handy to have a digital copy too as im forever lending out my hard copy [​IMG]

16. sillysausage21

sillysausage21 New commenter