1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Phonics - How do I assess which phase to start at?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by red frog, Sep 15, 2008.

1. I've recently come back down to Year 2 from upper KS2. Last time I was here it was still PIPS, and I had a very simple 'if child can spell 'x' start at step 2' etc test to assess where each child was with their phonics and put them into groups. Dead easy.
    How does it work with Letters and Sounds? I can't find anything at all to help me assess which phase I should be starting at with the class, and who should be in the 'booster' phonics group. Obviously I can make an educated guess, or just start low and keep zooming through until I hit where I think we should be, but it seems a little hit and miss when it was so easy previously.

Am I missing something obvious?

2. Hi,

Would you mind sending me a copy of the phonics assessment? I'm desperately struggling with my yr 3/4 literacy group who all need phonics work, but I don't know where to start!

My e-mail is downhearted2@hotmail.co.uk

Thanks in advance

3. Just joined Year 2 as well and panicking as to what assessments to complete and how. I have such a wide spread of ability.

Would love to see how you are doing it!

Many thanks!

jw0263@gmail.com

4. takethatno1fan

takethatno1fan New commenter

You all have mail

5. Anyone needing to teach phonics for reading and/or spelling in key stage one or two may find the free resources of unit 1 of www.phonicsinternational.com very helpful.

The programme itself is designed to suit all ages in mainstream and for special needs - it is just a highly useful, flexible extensive bank of material.

The main Sounds Book Activity Sheets which is a strand throughout the programme (units 1 to 12) include many cumulative decodable words. Each sheet includes simple words to longer, more complex words which is ideal for differentiated work.

The same sheet can be used for all the pupils at their own level.

This means that your assessment of 'where to start' in the programme amounts to what Alphabetic Code Knowledge the children know already - rather than what 'phase' of blending or segmenting ability they have. This is much simpler approach than worrying about length and complexity of words the children can blend and segment. What they can't do for themselves, the adult can model.

In any event, whatever bits of Alphabetic Code individuals know, the teacher still needs to manage the class. I suggest, therefore, that a general 'picture' of Alphabetic Code knowledge is ascertained and then the teacher creates no more than two ability groups. These ability groups can still be taught the same bits of code simultaneously but be given different levels of support. The weaker children may need additional lessons at basic Code Knowledge level in addition to general class input.

6. Please could I join the list for a copy of your group assessment. I am a year 6 teacher starting work with a rather large class of SEN children [P levels up to 2B] so any help with assessment would be very gratefully received. Thank you

jo

7. Thanks! I downloaded some assessment from the resources, but it is taking ages to carry out.

yellowtailedwoollymonkey@googlemail.com

8. Do I feel stupid or what???

Blaming the early hour of the day!!!

My email jo66jo@hotmail.co.uk please could I have a copy

9. please could you send me your assessment and i'll send you mine to compare -

jennyberry13@hotmail.com

10. Sorry to jump on the bandwagon but could I have a look too?
    martin.j.waller@googlemail.com

Many thanks

11. would it be possible for me to have a cop too?

strawberriesncream2@hotmail.co.uk

12. I would love to look at the phonic assessment. Samantha205@aol.com

13. Could I have a copy too?

Many thanks

andyknox1@hotmail.com

14. Hi there,

I know this is a really old thread now, but if you still have a copy of that phonics assessment I would be really grateful - my current one is thorough but long winded! Thanks, Lucy. lucy_nicholas@hotmail.co.uk

15. Msz

Msz Established commenter

If you are using L&S try
    but the free assessment material on Phonics International gives a clearer picture