1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

phonics help please

Discussion in 'Primary' started by CLR12, Mar 2, 2012.

1. Hi I am an experienced keystage 2 teacher who has just been put in a mixed foundation/y1 class please, please all you phonics experts out there, have you any tried and tested activities to support phase 1, 2 and 3 would like to give some ideas to parents so things they can do at home easily would be great!!

Thanks

2. Doesn't your school have a systematic phonics programme with resources to use?

3. I can only suggest that you teach yourself phonics as you go - which is what I had to do. Get hold of Letters and Sounds. Get the phoneme/graphemes in yr head for the phase you are working to - make sure you say she actual sound to yourself.... NOT "puh", "muh", "tuh" etc... before you start to teach it to children.

Lots of printables etc here: http://www.letters-and-sounds.com/
    Some useful free games, but prob worth joining here: http://www.phonicsplay.co.uk/
    Some really useful games here: http://ictgames.com/literacy.html

Good luck.

SP

4. Msz

Msz Established commenter

5. You really need to get a copy of 'letters and sounds'. This is particularly good for the early phonics phases and contains lots of activity ideas. There is also a dvd with video clips of teachers doing some of these activities with their classes and it shows you how to pronounce the phonemes correctly. I know it can look daunting as it's quite a thick booklet but there's really no shortcut to this. If you're only going up to phase 3, you won't need to worry about the second half anyway.
    I have uploaded a few of my phonics resources - click on my name to see all my resources. There aren't loads but hopefully it will give you a starting point. If you have any questions, please feel free to email/PM me and I'll be happy to talk things over with you, perhaps over the phone if you'd prefer.
    Another good website for some phonics games and some resources is: letters-and-sounds.com.
    Also look at **********.co.uk for loads of great printable resources. You won't be able to access this from school but can from home. I love this site for my phonics flashcards and laminated activities.

6. Msz

Please please don't support a twice convicted paedophile by visiting ********** [​IMG]
    I can't believe people are still recommending it ... many LEAs have banned it

7. I would echo that - why on earth would you want to use materials and fund a twice convicted paedophile's lifestyle, given that one of his convictions actually involved the website???

It beggars belief. Please don't.

8. I also am a bit [​IMG] that a poster is recommending these resources and inviting off the board rl contact in the same post.........very odd indeed....

9. I was not aware that using ********** resources was supporting a paedophile. I only know that there are lots of resources on there that I have found very useful and which have saved me a lot of time and effort.

Why is this odd? I have seen other posters offering individual support and thought it might be appreciated in this case. Is this unusual, or against TES forum rules or something? If so, I'd appreciate clarification.
    I come on these forums in good faith, with the intention of furthering my own knowledge and understanding, and hoping I can help others.

10. Msz

I'm sure ********** is very pleased you find his resources useful visiting his site generates income so he can continue ...
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/8462650.stm

11. I am appreciative of any ideas -thankyou so much

12. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

phonicsplay is a fabulous website with lots of plans and resources for the IWB. Saved my skin when I first moved to KS1 last September.

I also really like the Singing Phonics and Singing Spelling series. You can buy them from Amazon.