1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Phonics for year 3?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by primaryteacher12, Aug 16, 2011.

1. I am starting work at a new school, I am an NQT, and have been told that phonics runs throughout the school. I will be teaching year 3. What phase from Letters and Sounds should they be working at?

2. I am starting work at a new school, I am an NQT, and have been told that phonics runs throughout the school. I will be teaching year 3. What phase from Letters and Sounds should they be working at?

3. Wotton

Wotton Occasional commenter

It will be different for each child. Some may be secure in all phases some may not. Can you ask the school for their levels.

4. inq

inq

They should have finished letters and sounds (some LA/ SEN won't), there is another scheme that carries on for KS2, possibly Support for Spelling.

5. Msz

Msz Established commenter

In theory Letters and Sounds should be completed in Y2 in reality you will need to assess your class to see where they are.
    Support for Spelling is the DfE follow on to L&S

6. I have just taught Year 3 and we had to do a really big push on phonics as the children were not where they should be.We were fortunate to be three form entry so could split them across three classes for phases, 2, 3/4 and 5. TAs were used for SEN/G and T and sessions were for 15/20 mins every day. It worked really really well and all the children made good progress. We based our planning on the letters and sounds, trying to make it as fun and multi sensory as possible.

7. Msz

I'm shocked to think any child can get to Y3 and still be working at phase 2 which effectively means they don't know more than a handful of sounds![​IMG]

8. Yep, we were pretty shocked too!! We are a junior school and so they came to us at that level, but I know the infants have much better systems in place now.

9. mmm I have two children leaving Reception have been assessed by speech and language as working at the level of a two and a half year old. I'm a leading Early Years teacher and I have been working hard with them but I can't see them getting to a secure phase 3 in year 3! Sometimes in a system that encourages inclusion (which I agree with) you will have low attainers no matter how hard you try and some parents do not provide any support at home.

10. Msz

I had a little girl with global developmental delay (assessed by EP as functioning at 18 months on entry to reception) left Y2 working within phase 5 ...

11. duckface7

duckface7 New commenter

I have at least 6 children that will be in year 3 in September and will still be working at phase 2 and only one who is ready for phase 6....everybody else will be somewhere in between.

I am going to have my work cut out....that is for sure.

12. We do a daily phonics session in the school and all children are assessed at the end of the year. They are all put into the session that suits them regardless of age. KS1 follow Letters and Sounds and KS2 use Support for Spelling. Pupils of mine who joined a class in KS1 (I'm KS2) were made to feel that they were helping the younger ones, and I talked to parents so they knew what was happening and why.