1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Phonics Bug

Discussion in 'Primary' started by GaryMac, Jun 18, 2011.

1. Does anybody use this resource in school and if so does it cover Phase 6 phonics work in any depth?

2. Does anybody use this resource in school and if so does it cover Phase 6 phonics work in any depth?

3. Msz

Msz Established commenter

Have you signed up for the three months free trial of Bug Club? It gives you free access to Phonics Bug too.
    The trial lessons cover suffixes and prefixes so I'm assuming it does cover all of phase 6

4. Please don't think of 'phase 6' as a stage of learning which occurs after the other phases have been completed.
    Phase 6 type teaching should have been happening from the outset of phonics teaching! It is not a phase which is a follow-on or discrete - it's ongoing.
    There are flaws in Letters and Sounds - I wish people would view it objectively and with common sense in mind.

5. I wish people took a common sense approach to all of English literacy teaching, which has to include taking note of the irregularities of English spelling
    http://englishspellingproblems.blogspot.com

and how they affect learning and teaching.
    There would then be no disputes then about which teaching method is best. This remains what James Dunn advocated in his teaching manual of 1766:

1. Begin with
    the words that are absolutely regular, in the sense that they are pronounced in
    the way children would expect.</font>

2. Build into
    the exercises material that unobtrusively revises earlier work.</font>

3. Give
    special emphasis to the pronunciation of c and g, the first big difficulty.</font>

4. Introduce
    other difficulties progressively.</font>

6. Msz

Msz Established commenter

I agree Debbie L&S phases cause lots of problems and aren't necessary. Personally I would scrap phases 4 & 6 and include them from the start in fact I would just get rid of the bloody phases full stop.

7. mystery10

mystery10 Occasional commenter

That sounds like a good plan.