1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Phonics Bug or other schemes

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Felixthecat67, Nov 21, 2011.

1. i'm trying to find out if LCP which we use is on the accredited list. we have the first edition but was thinking of updating to the new version.

Has your Head got all the bumf from the latest head teacher's briefings? Ours has and is now interested in phonics! Hurrah.
    felix

2. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Don't be silly! I moved to KS1 this year and realised how dire what we do is. Went on a couple of courses and then reported back. Now he is vaguely aware of just how awful things are at our school and the desperate need to improve.

So yes he is now interested in phonics! Phew!

No LCP isn't in the catalogue, shame because I like it.

3. Haven't used Phonics bug, but have booked a demonstration for my school and we are trialling it at the moment. From what I've seen of it so far it looks pretty good.
    Felixthecat, we got the bumf!

4. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

We thought it looked the most exciting and interesting of those in the catalogue. Just wondered if it delivers all that it promises.

5. Is it possible to have it added to the list? It follows the letters and sounds and moves through the sounds systematically.

6. mystery10

mystery10 Occasional commenter

I was trying to find some material on the web the other day for a child I volunteer with. I was looking at the LCP phonic families materials which the blurb on the web said covered phase 5. It's hard just from web blurb to see what is covered, but I was wondering why there wasn't an "ar" family?
    e.g ar as in car, ar spelt a as in father, castle, bath ( this depends on region so maybe it's missed out?), and spelt al as in calm, palm, alm etc (maybe not enough words falling into this category for it to be considered part of a family?)
    Maybe this is one of the reasons why it isn't listed in the phonics match funding catalogue? That was just one huge stab in the dark but I guess they must have tried to match these schemes up with 144 graphemes or so to see what coverage they gave before deciding whether to include them in the list?
    Also why are the phonic families just vowelly type stuff? What about the other alternative spellings for phonemes that turn up in phase 5 that are consonant-ish?
    I'm sure someone else will know.

7. Because the spellings for vowels are all very variable.
    The consonant graphemes have mainly just one pronunciation.
    They are mostly not phonic and need much more word by word teaching than the consonants, for spelling especially (blue shoe flew...) for reading too (and any apron...)
    U can see why at
    http://englishspellingproblems.blogspot.com/2009/12/rules-and-exceptions-of-english.html<font size="3"> and
    http://englishspellingproblems.blogspot.com/2009/12/reading-problems.html
    That why phonics gives children a good start with learning to read and write (R / Yr1)
    but is of little use after that.

8. mystery10

mystery10 Occasional commenter

Oh but you could have the furry fffff family - ph, f, -gh
    And the quiet sh family sh, ch, ci
    And the jumpy j family j, ge, -dge and so on

9. Right!

Wrong!
    This is the bit which you just don't 'get', do you masha?