1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Phonics assessment and tracking

Discussion in 'Primary' started by minnieminx, Jul 27, 2011.

1. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Does anyone have any good ideas or resources they might be happy to share to track progress in phonics?

Our KS1 staff started ability grouping for phonics last Sept. and have embraced letters and sounds, yes I know it is 57 million years after everyone else, but that isn't the point!

After an inspection last term they were criticised for not tracking progress and assessing children adequately.

I'm joining them in September (Happy Happy Me!!) and definitely want there to be clear tracking across the KS, 6 groups from 4 classes mixed yr1/2.

I've looked at the Lancashire one, but it isn't really what I'd want.

Anyone got one they could send me or have a link to, it would be much appreciated.

Thank you.

2. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Does anyone have any good ideas or resources they might be happy to share to track progress in phonics?

Our KS1 staff started ability grouping for phonics last Sept. and have embraced letters and sounds, yes I know it is 57 million years after everyone else, but that isn't the point!

After an inspection last term they were criticised for not tracking progress and assessing children adequately.

I'm joining them in September (Happy Happy Me!!) and definitely want there to be clear tracking across the KS, 6 groups from 4 classes mixed yr1/2.

I've looked at the Lancashire one, but it isn't really what I'd want.

Anyone got one they could send me or have a link to, it would be much appreciated.

Thank you.

3. We track them on a grid that has the phases up the side (From Phase 1 up to Phase 6), and has the 6 half terms going across the page. After each half term, we write each child's name in the appropriate box to show what phase they are working at in that term. We do this every half term and it lets us see progress, and children who need further support.

4. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

WOW Giraffe, lots there! Thank you, I've bookmarked it for another day.

Sounds about right to me impulce. I was thinking that sort of thing and could make it myself. But wondered if I was missing something since I've not taught phonics before.

5. As for assessing - I do my own assessments to decide where to place them on the tracker.
    So if I think theyre working within phase 4, I will check if they can read/write some CCVC and CVCC words.
    If I think they're at Phase 5, ill check if they can read/write some words with long vowel phonemes etc, but these are not formal assessments...just me sitting down and giving them words off the top of my head.

6. Those termly/half-temly trackers are on the Devon website! I'm definitely going to use those with my staff as you can see the progress, but I'm also going to do work-scrutiny to ensure that children placed in Phase 3 for example, are also writing using the Phase 3 words and sounds - this shows security and embedding of the knowledge.
    Will be interesting to compare how we both get on in September - I have a very experienced staff who may not take too kindly to change! oooh-er! [​IMG]

7. The trackers sound useful but I think teachers can get hung up about Letters and Sounds phases. My first point is that if blending is taught left to right all through the word then Phase 4 is superfluous. Secondly, when is a child deemed to be ready to move up a phase? For example, a child may not have learned the "air" and "ure" graphemes. Or they may not have learned to decode all the P3 tricky words. How do these gaps (or similar) preclude the learning of new graphemes? Thirdly, saying a child is "at Phase 5" doesn't tell you much as it encompasses a huge amount of learning. You might as well say a child is "working on the Year One maths objectives". I think it best to think in terms of the knowledge (the simple and complex alphabetic codes) and the three skills of blending, segmenting and handwriting.

8. Hi would it be possible to see an example of your trackers. We are currently re-evaluating our trackers and we do not have a Phase 6 tracker. We have only just introduced Phonics into KS2. We have found that the children who have embarked on the Phonics scheme seem to be making drastic improvements in their reading and spelling but we need more concrete evidence. Thanks.

9. Msz

Msz Established commenter

10. Thank you so much for your response. It is a help. I was looking also to make a detailed chart up to aid the assessment of Phase 6 like we use for the other phases in school.

11. http://alphabeticcodecharts.com/DDD_Colour%20the%20Code%20A4x4.pdf
    For pupil-use, have you thought about something like this?
    If the chart is printed 'half size' it is two sides of A4 and could be useful in phonics folders or stuck into phonics books (if anyone uses such things).
    You could track in different ways - according to the spelling alternatives that the teaching has introduced or according to the code that the individual pupil knows well.

12. You could use different colours linked to half terms.

13. I like the idea of the colour code chart. Thanks for your idea.