1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Phonics and reading schemes, what do you use/have?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by minnieminx, Dec 14, 2011.

1. If that is the case, how do you explain the 20% who complete the Jolly Phonics course or similar and still leave school unable to read – every year?

You and I have experienced something that the 20% have never experienced. We have had the privilege of having experienced countless ‘good reads!’ We have experienced the irreplaceable mixed emotion of joy/sadness/emptiness when we finally close the covers on a good book. Our collective unwillingness to face the reality of what reading is denies this pleasure to one fifth of the population of the English speaking world. But that is all about to change.
    I am nearing completion of an App or the iPad which initially makes all 300 titles of Electronic Library freely available to all By tapping on any unfamiliar words, the iPad will vocalise that word and in the local/national accent. I anticipate that all Kindle-type tablets will follow suit with other children’s books although they will probably want paying
    Alternatively, younger children, as they run their finger along the lines of text at their own individual pace, the words will automatically embolden.
    This will mean that for the first time in their lives, the 20% will be able to sneak off to bed, switch the light out, slip under the duvet and read (access the meaning) to their hearts content. They will be able to do this for the first time without the intervention of a judgemental adult and in no time at all, their sight vocabs will enlarge exponentially! The motivation will be the stories themselves. It will not be necessary to try to encourage them to read – indeed it may be difficult to stop them. .There will be no need, either for this debate or for remedial experts because there will no longer be a problem to remediate!

2. Msz

Msz Established commenter

quite easily Jolly Phonics teaches the basics but if it isn't continued past reception (which has historically been the situation in most school) then children haven't got the skills to progress.
    If they have an iPad ...but if the 20% don't have a single book in the home, as data suggests, then they are unlikely to have an iPad to sneak off to bed to engage with.

3. I fully expect that when the iPad library (and no doubt many other versions) become widely available, synthetic phonics zealots will no longer be able to prevent children from learning to read because even if teachers don’t accept that reading is not about decoding but about expanding sight vocabulary, the children will have no such illogical reservations. The 20% will disappear – they will learn to read, not because of their teachers but in spite of them.
    As to the avaiability of iPads - that will change - and as the availability of books - that will change too - books in their present form will gradually disappear and become curios in museums. Letters and telegrams are reapidly disappearing. Newspapers are already on their way out Many schools have already recognised this and have puchaged electronic notebooks and Kindles. All the excuses will vanish one by one - just like the 20%
    I have no expectation that all teachers will change their ideas but that doesn't matter because the world will move on without them. They will be able to slow it down a little but not prevent it. All children will not only learn to read but virtually every one of them will ultimately acquire Level 5 literacy skills, sadly not because of these teachers but in spite of them..

4. Msz

eddie in my class some children don't have access to a bed never mind an iPad!!!
    they don't have the internet and electricity sometimes runs out before benefits are due ... food and just surviving is first priority

5. I worked for many years in socially deprived areas and some of my current project schools are also in such areas. It was my experience that such childran might have been deprived of books but they all hd xboxes or playstations even when I couldn't afford to buy my own children such things.
    Schools are beginning to purchase tablet compjuters and their use will spread inevitably and their value becomes more appreciated.In any debae about the teaching of phonics it is necessary to stick to the wider picture. I cant rememeber when the Clackmannshire report came out but I think it was probably about fifteen years ago. Synthetic Phonics has been flavour of the month for about a decade in English schools. How many more decodes do you suggest we carry on with a strategy which is clearly not delivering literacy to 20% of children - another decade? another two decades? Another three?
    Do you not think its time for some new thinking? Do you not think we own that to the 100,000 children on whom we unnecessarily inflict illiteracy, every year. Market researchers tell me that the iPad version of the library will appeal initially to home-schoolers in the US and then to Australian schools where they are apparently more open minded.
    Eventually however, it will filter through, even to UK schools!

6. Msz

You can't use an X Box or a playstation if the electricity has been cut off

7. Msz

We already provide e books for our pupils but many can't access them at home simply because they don't have the internet or the technology in the home.

8. I think perhaps we have exhausted the topic. We know and hopefully respect that each other's views, however different, are held in good faith. The problems of illiteracy are enough to keep me occupied - the problems of poverty I will have to leave to others
    I still have much programming to do to get myiPad library off the ground so I will now spend a few hours on that project.

Good night!

Eddie

9. Msz

I wish you every success with your app which I'm sure will be well received in the US

10. Why does it have to be one or the other? Although English, which is rooted in more than one language, has more spelling rules than other European languages, there are nevertheless rules and most words conform to them and are fully decodable. For early learners, it may be more efficient to teach some words by sight owing to their high frequency, but that is not to say that they do not conform to a rule.

And of course there are exceptions!

11. I really don't see why there has to be an argument here. Initially, children have to be taught to recognise the sounds of English, so that they have sufficient skills to decode unfamiliar words; and that they should have a bank of learnt sight words. This initial spelling training should continue until all the rules of English spelling are assimilated and the high frequency word mastered . This does not mean that in the meantime, children should not be exposed to real books! The one should feed the other.
    www.reall-languages.com/