1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Phonics and practising reading

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by Lizanne, Feb 4, 2011.

1. I am interested to know how class teachers, who have a daily phonics lesson, give children practice in using their phonics skills to read texts.

Do children read books that are decodable for them to an adult individually ? daily? weekly? to a teacher? a teaching assistant? a parent? a ?reading buddy??
    Do children read in pairs, taking turns to ?be the teacher??
    Do teachers organise guided reading lessons for groups of children of similar ability?
    Are children asked to read decodable texts on their own and demonstrate understanding by drawing pictures or answering questions, verbally or in writing?
    Anything else?

2. I am interested to know how class teachers, who have a daily phonics lesson, give children practice in using their phonics skills to read texts.

Do children read books that are decodable for them to an adult individually ? daily? weekly? to a teacher? a teaching assistant? a parent? a ?reading buddy??
    Do children read in pairs, taking turns to ?be the teacher??
    Do teachers organise guided reading lessons for groups of children of similar ability?
    Are children asked to read decodable texts on their own and demonstrate understanding by drawing pictures or answering questions, verbally or in writing?
    Anything else?

3. Msz

Msz Established commenter

In reception I (the teacher) heard individual readers at least twice a wee. Plus daily sentence reading (individual) during the phonics input.

4. HI
    I listen to them read sentences in daily phonics lessons plus listen to them read individually once a week (more if they are my struggling readers) and I also do guided reading with each group once a week.
    We have lots of activities out in the provision to develop their blending skills too which my TA and I assess through observation. (such as finding hidden pebbles with words on that have newly taught sounds, reading a words/short sentence and programming the beebot tothe matching picture card,lots of vocab in the role play area linked to the theme etc)
    I am so impressed with my class this year - they are really flying through the phonics and picking it up quickly - so much so I had a boy this week write me a story based on the Very Hungry Caterpillar - It was the Very Hungry Chicken and he made up 7 zig-zag pages worth of story- his use of phonics in his story was just amazing!!

5. It?s great to hear how well your class is doing, ?nearly qualified?. Thank you and Msz for your replies.

Any other replies? If you are a reception or KS1 teacher, do you do the same sort of things or do you do it differently?

6. My TA and I hear the children read twice a week, I have parent helpers, buddy readers from year 5, daily phonics session reading words captions and sentences, and we send reading books home twice a week. Plus games out in child initiated etc. Developing comprehension through discussion of stories, big books, saying sentences with words we are blending etc. Lots of opportunities throughout the day.

7. gcf

gcf

Minxy - if you have time, can you report how effective your buddy readers from yr. 5 are and whether they are specially selected and need much briefing? And are there any pitfalls or do you find the collaboration generally satisfying? Thanks.