1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Phonics and Literacy

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Irulan, Jan 6, 2011.

1. I must admit that this does seem a little strange. However, I am speaking from a KS2 perspective. Year 1 at this time of the year will probably still be operating an Early Years curriculum so you might need to go back to the teacher to check with her. You could also try posting this in Early Years.

2. clawthorpegirl

clawthorpegirl New commenter

In our Y1 & Y2 we do discrete phonics of 15mins daily in addition to daily Literacy lesson, is a squeeze on timetable but manageable. They don't necessarily follow on from each other either.

3. thepinkrachael

thepinkrachael New commenter

I do the same - my Literacy and phonics sessions are separate, with Literacy for an hour sometime during each day and 15 mins for phonics either before lunch/first thing in the morning or last session before hometime each day.I agree it is a squeeze, but (sometimes with a bit of jiggling round here and there!) it's do-able.

4. Hi Laura-
    Why dont you treat the phonics session as a Literacy opener of 15 /20 mins then go into the main part of the lesson.
    It could even be linked but not essential. 1hr and 15 mins of literacy would be fine with my Y6 but a
    Year 1 class.... its a lot to ask.
    Keep it snappy and snazzy you will be fine as long as the kids are having fun and learning!
    Good luck.