1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Phonically Decodable Reading Books

Discussion in 'Primary' started by lisafrostmrps, Jan 24, 2019.

Tags:
  1. lisafrostmrps

lisafrostmrps New commenter

Hi, I have spent ages searching through old threads but couldn't find anything on this:
    For home reading books, we currently use Oxford reading tree but need a new scheme. We have Pearson's ActiveLearn online (but it's not used by many, sadly), and a few Songbird books. We use Pearson's bug books for Guided reading. School is looking to invest in new books, thankfully.
    Does anyone recommend any book schemes that are more phonically suitable, especially at the lower end please?

Thank you

2. Wotton

Wotton Lead commenter

3. witchhazel

witchhazel New commenter

Have a look at Dandelion readers. I used them successfully with children who were not ready to access Oxford reading tree scheme.

4. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Dandelion readers for me as well.
    They are excellent.

Phonetically decodable books are definitely the way to go.

5. May2

May2 Established commenter

Rigby Star Phonics and Collins Big Cat Phonic readers.

6. ViolaClef

ViolaClef Lead commenter

Trekkie likes this.
  7. ks9aq

ks9aq New commenter

I also agree with this. They are especially good for children who don't cope well with busy pictures that distract them. My son struggles with reading and has found these book helpful.

ViolaClef likes this.
  8. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

:(:(.
    I never came across that. How sad not to be able to enjoy illustrations while learning to read.

9. ABCCBA123321

ABCCBA123321 Occasional commenter

One of my daughters gets really visibly distracted by very busy illustrations in books - thankfully now at the age where the beginner "chapter" books are starting to come into the equation and can cope with them better than a busier illustrated slightly "easier" book. You can see her eyes bouncing all around the illustrations and struggling to refocus back on the words - I've never come across it before but it's really marked. She likes reading regardless so I don't tend to stress about it too much and just regard it as part of the wonderful package of additional quirks and SEN issues she comes pre-packaged with.

ViolaClef likes this.
  10. lisafrostmrps

lisafrostmrps New commenter

Thank you so much to everyone for your replies, they've been most helpful, especially the suggestions for SEN children. I have a child in my class who I find cannot concentrate on the words as he's scanning the pictures constantly, and so that's a great idea.

ViolaClef likes this.
  11. ViolaClef

ViolaClef Lead commenter

With busy or beautiful illustrations, maybe time should be spent enjoying them and talking about them with the child before any text is read. I know this may take patience on the adult’s part, but it’s hardly surprising if a child is fascinated by colourful illustrations and wants to ‘read’ the story of the pictures, which are so much more accessible than the text. There shouldn’t be anything wrong with doing this.
    Pictures and picture books have value for younger and older children. They can be a feast for the mind/imagination as well as the eyes. Some pictures tell a completely different story from the text.

1 person likes this.
  12. frustum

frustum Lead commenter

I once tried to read to a pre-school child in our local library, and was fascinated by her reaction. This girl, a similar age to my daughter, was very frequently there, looking at books in the children's area while mum was using the computer, for relatively long periods. On this occasion, I offered to read the book she was looking at to her (and my daughter). It turned out she really wasn't interested in hearing the story. She was too used to looking at the pictures and making up her own story, and didn't want to listen to somebody else's! It's great that she was able to take so much from the pictures, and it probably did great things for her imagination, but I can imagine that getting her to take an interest in the text when she started school will have been tricky. Books with less illustration might have their uses!

13. ViolaClef

ViolaClef Lead commenter

Children are ready for reading and decoding symbols at different ages. The thirst to know the story or what all the black marks on the page mean will come at different times depending upon the individual.