1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Phonic reading scheme recommendations please

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by mcdc52, Oct 9, 2008.

1. I have a Reception class and our school is introducing Read, Write Inc - a synthetic phonic scheme. Our reading scheme is Oxford Reading Tree, which is based around sight vocabulary, and not at all complementary to Read, Write Inc.

I am trying to convince the Literacy Co-ordinator to buy us a phonetically based reading scheme to support Read, Write Inc, any views/recommendations please?

2. I have a Reception class and our school is introducing Read, Write Inc - a synthetic phonic scheme. Our reading scheme is Oxford Reading Tree, which is based around sight vocabulary, and not at all complementary to Read, Write Inc.

I am trying to convince the Literacy Co-ordinator to buy us a phonetically based reading scheme to support Read, Write Inc, any views/recommendations please?

3. The ORTree songbird series are fantastic!!!! I highly recommend them !

4. Songbirds are ok but not a patch on RWinc. We start them with Jelly and Bean - a lovely gradual start - then move them on to RW when their speed/confidencedevelops. We use songbirds for group reading. The RW ditty books are good for those slow to start. We found those using the ditty books had caught up with the 'advanced' group within a few weeks.

5. Msz

Msz Established commenter

So good I typed it twice [​IMG]

6. mystery10

mystery10 Occasional commenter

I am only a parent, but at home I've done a mix of RWI, the new Floppy Phonics, and Songbirds with my daughter. I've been careful to read the books beforehand and check through exactly what phonemes and graphemes are in them to make sure they fit with where she was in the RWI progression of sounds - which she is following at school and which for various reasons I have pushed on with at home beyond the point they all are at school. She has enjoyed this.
    Once she had successfully read Songbirds fiction stage 6 I have found that I have been able to shift quite successfully and easily to ORT Biff Chip and Kipper Stage 6 as she has covered enough of the graphemes and to be able to read quite smoothly and only have to"sound out" the odd word here and there.
    I noticed on the Bookpeople recently that you can buy ALL the songbirds phonics books for £15 the lot. That's great - but a shame for me, I paid that much for one stage alone.
    Maybe my daughter is odd, but she absolutely loved playing with the small cardboard soundcards that you can buy from Read Write Inc - they have the picture and little memorable phrase on one side and some example words, and the grapheme on the reverse. Until the books started to seem more like decent stories (around set 4 or 5 of RWI, stage of Songbirds) these caught her interest and enthusiasm more than the books.
    I have noticed a huge difference in the facility with which she decodes new words than my first daughter at the same stage - of course this might just be different learning styles but my first daughter was nominally put through a phonics programme at school but her reading diet was very old ORT books. The purer SP start my second daughter has had has hopefully paid off.

7. Pearson's Bug books have a free 3 months trial of their online version of their Phonics Bug scheme. You can see the entire scheme in e-book format and can share them with your class. http://www.bugclub.co.uk/ Don't forget the upcoming 3k matched funding for phonics resources, it may be worth waiting for this before you buy anything.

8. Msz

I'm hoping to convince my head to subscribe to Bug Club for reception and KS1 next year and invest in some of the higher level books

9. Msz

Is it your own scheme joanibel ? I ask because I have never heard of it except in your posts ...