1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Phonic Reading Books

Discussion in 'Primary' started by kat12, Apr 13, 2012.

1. Hi, I have some money to spend to purchase some phonic books for my school. We currently use Jelly and Bean in Reception (as well as some Songbird phonic books). I am looking for different phonic book schemes to appeal to different year groups. We are looking for something for Year 1, Year 2 and struggling children in Year3 and 4.
    My current feeling is that Dandelion phonic books might be suitable for Year 1 and I like the look of Project X Phonic books for Year 2. I'm unsure as to what would be sutiable for KS2. I would welcome advice from anyone who has experience of using these schemes or anyone who has used any other scheme they really liked.
    Thanks

2. Have just looked again at the dendelion books and they don't seem to cover the vowel phonemes included in Phase 3 of Letters and Sounds. Perhaps Read Write Inc books might be better in Year 1. Does anyone have any experience of using these books in their school, but not following Ruth Miskin's approach to phonics (eg, the lessons structured in a particular way, the speed sound sets etc)?

3. ballerina

ballerina New commenter

I recently purchased the dandelion phonics books for my year 3/4 class who needed phonics support. i thought they were really good - helped with the blending that they had gaps in and weregood at keeping the children interested, especially good for the boys who thought they were cool.

4. I have used Dandelion books with Year 7s in our special school. They liked them as they didn't look as 'babyish' as other early readers. Yes, I'm pretty sure they cover phase 3 phonemes too.

I've also bought Project X and Project X phonics, both of which are used in guided reading sessions. Our Year 8s like them: again, they look 'older' than the traditional early reading books.

We also have Rigby Rapid for Key Stage 2 (I would have bought the Key Stage 3 ones but they came out a month after I got the others!). They are designed for Key Stage 2 pupils who are struggling with reading. We use them for individual reading books but they have teachers' notes for guided reading too, though these notes aren't as good as the Project X ones. The Rigby Rapid books each contain two texts: one fiction and one non-fiction, with questions at the end of each section. Although these aren't 'phonics' books, the early stages are decodable for phases 2-3.

5. Msz

Msz Established commenter

6. Ooh, they look good! Get very excited about new books. Is that sad? Thanks for link.

7. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

We have just bought a great number of new reading books. Project X is popular enough with my year 2 children, but it could be because they are new. Not sure yet.

The code ones would be good for older children who need to catch up. The same series as everyone else but simpler to read.

I really, really liked the phonics bug books when we looked into schemes.

8. Msz

i'm sad too [​IMG] It was like having a birthday when the free trial books arrived

9. Msz

We have Phonics Bug both the hard copies and e books, also floppy's phonics, project x phonics, songbirds, big cat phonics, rag tag rhymes, rigby star phonics and I plan to buy the Project X phonics and Rapid Phonics that should cover all

10. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

I could come to your school and just stroke all the reading books...

11. Msz

I love books as Amazon know only too well

12. ballerina

ballerina New commenter

yes they did!