1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Phones

Discussion in 'Personal' started by littlemissraw, Dec 22, 2010.

1. littlemissraw

littlemissraw Occasional commenter

Looking at a new smartphone as mine has met its demise.
    Currently considering iphone 4 or HTC Desire HD. Any experiences with these? I do like the fact that iphone can be bought on 0% finance... x

2. I love my iPhone but then I love everything Mac so am a bit biased

I had a HTC Hero and really did not get on with it ... I found the app store really difficult to use ... I found the screens complex but that may just be me

I have heard good things about the Desire

My better half has a Nokia smart phone and he thinks it is great ... Cannot remember which one

3. My OH has the HTC Desire and it's amazing. Although I have become a phone widow as she's always finding new apps and new cool and pointless things it can do.
    O2 have a deal where you can get a HTC on contract for £25 at the moment. I loooked into it but don't want to be tied in to a 2 year contract.
    Android phones are good as you can customise them more than iPhones.
    I'm on the look out for a working camera phone (not a smart phone as I can't afford one). I'm on a really cheap sim contract so I want to buy a handset and use my sim.
    Any ideas for cheap but good ones? I'm only getting a new one as my current second hand phone keeps cutting out in the middle of calls and as a supply teacher I need to be contactable!

4. captain oats

captain oats New commenter

I have a HTC Wildfire, which is the smaller/cheaper version of the Desire.

This is the first smartphone I have owned and I absolutely love it! Really easy to use and navigate your way around.

My sister got a new iphone 4 at the same time I got my HTC and she has already had problems with hers, whereas mine has been fine. Would definitely recommend HTC phones.

5. grandelf

grandelf New commenter

if you have to buy it on finance then you don't need it.

6. captain oats

BTW I got my Wildfire free on a £25 a month contract on Vodafone (contract is for 18 months)

7. littlemissraw

Yeah kind of. My insurance should pay out £250ish for my phone that died and I decided to buy a good new phone so that when my contract is up (Sept 2011) I can go on a cheap SIM only rate (£15p/m) rather than the £35 a month I pay at the moment. So long term it will be cheaper.
    Was going to do finance (as 0%) and pay the £250 off our CC (which is 11%).
    So HTC seems to be preferred...?

8. iPhone 4. Go and use one in a shop. And then use an HTC and note the difference. Look at the screen resolutions. iPhone 4 beats everything at the moment. Look at the responsiveness of the device. I find HTC and other Android devices lack the responsiveness of the iPhone. And don't let anyone tell you about Flash being enabled on HTC but not on iPhone. Only devices running Android 2.2 can run Flash and it eats battery. It's not really an issue. And the phones you are looking at don't run Android 2.2 (to my knowledge). Oh, and you are at the mercy of the handset manufacturer as to when and if you can upgrade the Android operating system when an update becomes available. With the iPhone the update is automatically made available. I could go on but won't.

9. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Keep on showing me your new phone? There's a slap for that!

10. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

See, I'm due an upgrade and I'm glazing over looking at the options....maybe someone could go do it for me!

11. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

Tell it not in Gath, publish it not in the streets of Ashkelon but I have just bought a mobile for £3.95!

12. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

HALLE BLEEDING LUJAH!!!!!

About time too.

13. littlemissraw

It depends if you want something that does 'everything' or not. I started with this article and then moved onto the review sites. Now just stuck deciding between the two x

14. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

It's all too technical for me...
    Put your expertise to use. I want:
    • a big screen
    • a good camera
    • internet access - is 250 MB a lot? How much time do you get for 500MB?
    The packages are confusing too. I want to upgrade but I don't need a lot of phoning time, I want unlimited texts and internet but when it comes to choosing the phone I'm baffled. It's a minefield.

15. littlemissraw

HTC HD7 (O2 only) HTC Desire HD both have a big screen - 4.3" and HD7 had 5MP camera, Desire HD has 8MP camera.
    Nokia N8 has a 12MP camera and again a big screen.
    If you want a Qwerty keypad the new Nokia E7 is coming early 2011.
    Alot of packages include unlimited WiFi and my data is 500MB which has been fine so far, although I mainly surf as any downloads I do at home.
    Go through Topcashback if your getting a new contract/upgrade online and you'll get money for taking one out.
    Let me know which phone you like if you want me to find best monthly offer x

16. littlemissraw

17. I was never that into phones until I got my iPhone 4...now I never put it down, in fact I am typing this on it as we speak! I would never have anything else now! Speedy, responsive, has everything on it, big screen, very clear, excellent camera...I only use my laptop for school work now...it is fab!!

18. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

littlemissraw - you've gone into a lot of detail for which I'm grateful. I should have said, perhaps, that I'm not thinking of changing from vodophone. I'm quite happy with them and I know it works where I want it to work.
    If you were reeeeeeaaaally bored you could have a look at vodofone's site at the free phones/monthly tariff and check out phones for about £20/25.
    I've done a bit of exploring and narrowed it down to:
    HTC Wildfire (£25 pcm, 600 minutes, unlimited texts 500MB) , Samsung Wave (£25, 300 mins, unlimited text, 500 MB) and Sony Ericsson Vivaz (same as Wave) all of which seem to give me what I want.
    I'm still a bit unsure about internet...I want to be able to access the internet at my mum's - she doesn't have a computer and at work (because I'm fed up trying to do so on the stupid school network).
    At mum's I'm most likely to want to get on TES/facebook etc (she tends to fall asleep about 9!) and at work I would want google, various education sites (eg primary resources) etc - I probably wouldn't be downloading on the phone...just the searching part.
    Dunno if that's enough information or too much!
    http://shop.vodafone.co.uk/shop/mobile-phones/all-phones?initialFilters=flt_paymonthly

19. captain oats

seren_dipity

I am on Vodafone and recently upgraded to the HTC Wildfire, I think it's a great phone, camera is only 5mp though!

Was going to go for the Sony Ericsson Vivaz because that camera is 8mp (I think) but the only reason I didn't get that is because it had some quite bad reviews!

Wildfire is great to access internet on, all websites are accessible and it adapts the size of the webpage to fit the screen of the phone, it has also has Flash installed already so you can watch videos.

If you want to know more then feel free to ask :)

20. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

I've stuck to the same reviewer for all three (techradar), captain oates - and, although the camera does sound good, I'm inclined to rule out the Vivaz because the review wasn't quite so glowing for it.
    It's useful to know someone else who's got the phone - and who's happy with it.
    As I use texting most often is the wildfire easy to text?
    And have you used GPS navigation?