1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Phones are starting to freak me out!

Discussion in 'Personal' started by TCSC47, Jan 19, 2018.

1. TCSC47

TCSC47 Star commenter

It might be a coincidence but I have just had a cold call from a place in London I walked past last weekend. I never answer cold calls so I'm afraid I don't know who it was or what they wanted. I blocked my number and tried to call them back to find out who they are. However I got the message "incorrect number". Tried on our landline also blocking our number but got "number not recognised". I am confident I called the number correctly.

Went on UK number to search the number and they amazingly gave me the map co-ordinates and a google map showing where the call originated from. That is how I knew I had walked past the place. I haven't been in that part of London for maybe more than 10 years, so coincidence or not?

This has happened at least once to my knowledge before from a shop I visited. Again, coincidence?

I accept that the security services can do this for national security, (my wife once had to make a 999 call on her works number blocked mobile and the police knew who she was without asking) but I am not happy at all for commercial interests to have such control over my phone and who knows what info on it.

Anybody know what may be going on?

2. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

Did you access free WiFi from those places? (Or did your phone automatically?)

3. TCSC47

TCSC47 Star commenter

Certainly not intentionally. My phone requires me to sign in to wifi, but again, my paranoia asks me if it can do it without my knowledge!

4. elledriver

elledriver Lead commenter

Maybe that's your answer. Watchlisted.

5. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

In which case they may have harvested it from some other source - I suspect when I get such calls it is from competitions etc. I signed up for previously.

6. TCSC47

TCSC47 Star commenter

On the paranoia theme, It just occurred to me can UK Number identify where my landline is, but when I put my number in it did not come up with the full details so that makes me feel a bit better.

7. TCSC47

TCSC47 Star commenter

What is Watchlist, Elle?

8. TCSC47

TCSC47 Star commenter

9. TCSC47

TCSC47 Star commenter

It is just the massive coincidence that we walked though the area only last weekend. I am also perturbed that although I have their number I can not call them back. Their number came through on my mobile but when I tried to call back as described above, the number was not recognised. OK, maybe that doesn't worry me too much, but how do they do that? And also, I've just found the website UK Number that can show where landlines are -- but apparently not mine. So what is going on there?

10. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

I've received emails from stores that I've been in or walked past when I have my mobile data switched on. The map app on my phone is linked to my email account so I guess it's them just giving my data away.

I probably didn't tick a box somewhere.

11. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

12. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

13. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

TCSC47 likes this.
  14. Didactylos4

Didactylos4 Star commenter

A whole raft of data can be harvested from your phone if you
    1. leave you wifi able to identify local wifi sources
    2. leave your location system operative
    3. Just have your phone switched on.
    If you are in public many businesses believe that you have no right to privacy (technically they may be right)
    There's actually a home security system that can now track and record various things like mac addresses and/or any unsecured information on a phone that passes within range of your wifi system.

You can take certain precautions but largely if you are out there then you will be found by someone. Unless of course you have a Faraday cage around your phone
    Which, of course, rather negates the point of having a phone.

15. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

[​IMG]
    Looks quite handy to me... tweety bird would be happy.

Didactylos4 likes this.
  16. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

I have a Faraday cage for our car keys.

17. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

We should report him to TES.

18. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

The next time you go into a big shopping centre have a look for signs on the doors about them tracking your phone through their premises...

19. elledriver

elledriver Lead commenter

Proximity locking has it's downside.Better to stick with pressing a button, if it's not too tiring.