1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Phone Shop Roleplay Area for Year 2

Discussion in 'Primary' started by lee drew, Jul 20, 2011.

1. Hi there, I'm an NQT starting my first teaching post in September. Our theme is 'lets keep in touch' and i've decided to do a mobile phone shop for the roleplay area as the other year 2 teacher wants to do a post office.
    Does anybody have any suggestions for getting the most out of a roleplay area along this theme-obviously the maths is there with sales roleplay and working out bills etc.
    i want to try and include some writing and shape space measuwe as well, alongside lots of talk opportunities.

Any ideas?

Lee

2. Anybody out there?

3. I've been gathering old mobiles for my classroom thoughts so far.
    Shape shop - you phone the shape shop and describe a shape to the shopkeeper who has to find the shape - I get the kiddos to sit with a cardboard shop front on something similar so they can't see each other.
    Great for speaking and listening activities.
    Have a message pad by a phone kiddos take a message.
    Telephone directory - kids could make an alphabetical list of their names etc and makeup phone numbers for themselves. And/or you could have old phone directories/yellow pages.
    They could make their own yellow pages adverts - decide what they want to be and make an advert and make your own class yellow pages.
    Any help? You've got me thinking now [​IMG]

4. comenius

comenius New commenter

Can you get hold of lots of different old mobiles or dummy mobiles (ask in phone shops)?
    They could write posters advertising the phones to display in the shop.
    Give them blank cardboard boxes and they could design a box for the phone and write descriptions.
    Write information/instructions how to use the phones.
    Have a shop phone and memo pad so they can take calls and write messages/orders.
    Shape - give them sheets of card and 2D shapes and challenge them to make nets to make phone boxes.
    Measures - could you do something around network coverage? Print, enlarge and display the network maps, create a scale, provide rulers and children could measure distances between countries?!?? If you're in London and call Moscow how many miles does the signal travel?
    Weighing phones, measuring length etc - they could include these measures in their descriptions/adverts for the phones.

5. Great ideas Comenius.

6. Fantastic ideas, thanks everybody, really helpful stuff here, i'll make certain to follow these ideas up. Already have some old mobiles and the nice man in the Carphone Warehouse is getting me some old display models!

7. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Children could create text messages, hopefully in year 2 they won't be too up on txt spk, so will write correct English or nearly so.

Tou could make some different tariffs and get the G&T to see which is best value.