1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Phone call from school

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by wellard, Dec 13, 2011.

1. I am currently off sick with a tummy bug which has been going round the school. The school have just rung to see if I will be in tomorrow. I was under the impression that they were not allowed to phone you if you were off sick. Is this the case or am I wrong?

2. I am currently off sick with a tummy bug which has been going round the school. The school have just rung to see if I will be in tomorrow. I was under the impression that they were not allowed to phone you if you were off sick. Is this the case or am I wrong?

3. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Lead commenter Forum guide

Why wouldn't they be able to ring you to see how you are getting on and when you are likely to return? You've only got a tummy bug, and you're obviously well enough to post on TES, so I can't see how answering the phone should be an issue! Harassing someone off sick wouldn't be acceptable, but one phone call asking if you will be in tomorrow is hardly harassment.

4. FollyFairy

FollyFairy Occasional commenter

Did you inform the school when you hoped to be back in or did you say that you would contact school when you were able to work again? Did you give them a medical note or are you just self-certifying? The answers to these questions can make a difference on whether it is acceptable or not to contact you at home - this link has more advice: http://www.atl.org.uk/Images/ADV18%20Being%20off%20sick.pdf

5. Nowhere in my post did I say I thought I was being harassed or was not capable of picking up the phone. I simply wanted to know if schools were allowed to ring you if you were off sick.

6. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

Yes.
    Whilst a teacher should not feel harassed into producing work or returning, equally their employer should show appropriate concern for their welfare - and needs to know how the land lies with regard to their absence. Someone else has to do an absent teacher's job.
    I've actually known teachers moan that no-one from school did ring to see how they were.

7. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

Wellard, you seem to be having a tough time at the moment, what with the formal complaint against you which you told us about on 7/12 in another thread.

8. What about if the sickness is due to mental health issues and you've handed in a doctor's certificate?

My understanding is that in these circumstances, if you say I've got x, not well enough to talk about work but will let you know how things go when I see the doc, I don't want to be contacted, then people should respect this. Is that right?

9. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

And most schools probably will, but I would be cautious in such circumstances about declaring abject neurosis as if prolonged your fitness to teach could be called into question....

10. I believe that is correct. Put your health first above all else.

11. Of course, which is why I kept the exact nature of my condition quiet (and was asking to be left alone) until I'd spoken to HR and occupational health when I was signed off with work related stress earlier this year.