1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Phone call from Doc tonight - feeling scared now - silly women's stuff but help!

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by Twinkles, Dec 15, 2010.

1. Twinkles

Twinkles New commenter

I posted last week on the menopause thread - 12 day period and being put on hormone tablets. The good news is that the tablets stopped the beeding - hooray but I had to go back for a blood test this morning and I just had a call from the doctor saying that I have to go in and see her in the morning because I'm so anaemic that I may need a blood transfusion! They also want to do a full examination and bring forward to scan they've booked at the hospital.
    My husband is abroad on business at the moment and I can't get hold of him so I'm feeling really scared. Please can one of the wise people on here (you know who you are!) reassure me that everything's going to be OK?
    Thanks.

2. Twinkles

Twinkles New commenter

I posted last week on the menopause thread - 12 day period and being put on hormone tablets. The good news is that the tablets stopped the beeding - hooray but I had to go back for a blood test this morning and I just had a call from the doctor saying that I have to go in and see her in the morning because I'm so anaemic that I may need a blood transfusion! They also want to do a full examination and bring forward to scan they've booked at the hospital.
    My husband is abroad on business at the moment and I can't get hold of him so I'm feeling really scared. Please can one of the wise people on here (you know who you are!) reassure me that everything's going to be OK?
    Thanks.

3. What's the worse that can happen? If you've been bleeding profusely it would be a surprise if you weren't anaemic. As Iron tablets take quite a long time to really work, a transfusion (and from my position of zero medical qualification but occasional anaemia for the same reason as you) is a short cut. It seems very unlikely though. I'd have thought they'd give you Iron injections first.
    The scan is a routine procedure for gynae problems in Women Of a Certain Age and nothing to feel anxious about.

4. Twinkles

Twinkles New commenter

I just knew you'd be along to reassure me, Lily - can't tell you how much better you made me feel. Thanks [​IMG]

5. jonowen

jonowen Occasional commenter

Hi Twinkles,
    I'm sure everything will be OK but you're bound to feel anxious especially with your husband away. This time next week, or this time tomorrow even, you will be feeling much better and won't have to worry. I can't remember who said it but I heard on the radio the other day that "...the biggest fear is fear itself..." and that is so true.
    If you are very anxious (I know I would be) give the Samaritans a ring - they will help to calm your fears, or if you have a good friend or relative to talk to, that may also help.
    Good luck tomorrow - take care.
    Joni x [​IMG]

6. Well, you wouldn't want to be feeling unwell over Christmas, would you -I wouldn't start imagining more into it than that, really.
    Not many days before hospitals and GP surgeries would be hoping to wind down routine stuff a bit, specially if imminent bad weather might mean shortstaffing and extra accidents falls+sprains etc. I would just try and take it that your doctor is trying to get you fitted in.
    Yes, I would start imagining all things too! but it just seems a rather sensible way to avoid having that drastic process all over again. If you get a scan and sorted out earlier (and in the holidays possibly) that must be a good thing.
    No doubt loads of other people will say theirs turned out fine in the end but wished their GP had been more pro-active and pushy like yours...
    Hope tomorrow morning's appt gives you all the right info and loads of instant relief!

7. Stop panicking.. if it ws an urgent transfusion you would have been packe doff to hospital already.
    Anaemia although unpleasant is relatively common.. I have been in the 'threatened with transfusion group' but wa strialle don super strength iron tablets an dinjections first.
    What ever YOU decide with your doctor it's going to make you feel much better .
    Try and sleep well and try not to fret..a lthough i know this is easier said than done.

8. I suppose it's the being called at home by the doctor and being told you're being rushed through that makes you anxious. It's so unusual for a start! Most of us have to push push push. But as someone else has said (you used to be able to see the whole page when you replied), it may be nothing more than trying to clear the order books before the holidays.

9. Vampyria

Vampyria New commenter

My thoughts exactly! If you needed a transfusion you would be so weak you wouldn't be able to compose your message! Your doctor shouldn't have been such an alarmist!
    There are alternatives to treat anaemia eg Epogen injections to stimulate red blood cell production would be the first consideration.
    Try not to worry and be grateful you're gettting all this over you in time for Christmas!

10. Scans are indeed routine for gynae problems for us senior women. I was offered one a few years ago for similar reasons, I was excited at the idea of having the gel on my tummy and then the scan, memories of babies. However when I walked into the room and was told to take off my knickers, climb on the table. open you legs I wasn't prepared or even told how things had changed over the years! Out of the corner of my eye I saw what looked like a dil*o, then a condom being rolled over it, then shove!! No one spoke to me or told me what they were doing, 'Hello', I was saying, 'up here.... look at my face'.

11. How did you go on, Twinkles?

12. I second Lily.. popped in to see how it went?

13. Twinkles

Twinkles New commenter

Hi guys, I'm back!
    Went to the doctor on Thursday morning and got sent straight to A&E. Apparently I'm something of a medical marvel - staff at the hospital couldn't work out how someone with an Hb count as low as mine was still walking around! Anyway, stayed in overnight, had 3 units of blood and was discharged yesterday afternoon with an appointment for a hysteroscopy on Wednesday.
    Ultrasound at the hospital revealed a 'huge' probable fibroid (I'm calling her Fenella) larger than my womb and some cysts and other unnecessary stuff so I'm a bit confused as to why I still need the internal camera - surely they should just be thinking about taking her away?
    Anyway, thanks for all the support - will keep you posted (whether you want me to or not!)

14. Oooh busy times.
    That is a mystery.. I was wrong sorry.. just assumed GP would have sent you to Hosp after first call if you were that bad.. hope you feel better soon.
    I think they use the camera to have a proper look and work out a plan of action better clarity than scans.

Do take care

15. I had an untrasound endoscopy recently to enable the sugeon to better visualise the poisiton and depth of the lesion. If they're taking Fenella out, perhaps they just want as good an idea of the layout as possible, depending on whether they're going for it from the inside or the outside so to speak.
    My own hideous menstrual bleeding/anaemia problems were caused by fibroids, though mine were many and small rather than one whopper. You will be heaps better off without it and on the bright side, just how much slimmer are you going to look!
    Glad the transfusion went well and now you won't have to eat a ton of liver and cabbage every day instead!

16. casper

casper New commenter

Its amazing how much better you will feel now, you have had a transfusion, I had one after my masectomy.It is horrid when you feel tired and weak. Take care.
    Casper x

17. Twinkles

Twinkles New commenter

Back to hospital this morning - feeling very anxious. Not so worried about the actual procedure, since I'll be asleep throughout, think I'm more concerned about how I'll feel afterwards when it's nearly Christmas and there's still so much to do!
    PS Isn't it strange that once you know there's something in your body that shouldn't be there, you start to feel it all the time!

18. jonowen

jonowen Occasional commenter

Thinking of you Twinkles
    [​IMG]
    xx

19. Good luck today.

20. Hope all went well.