1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Philosophy ideas to extend able Yr 5 & 6 pupils

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Wotworklifebalance, Apr 9, 2012.

1. Wotworklifebalance

Wotworklifebalance New commenter

Hi All
    I'm asking for a friend who wants to offer sessions of approx 1 hour a week to extend her most able children. They have been doing thinking skills but the course is coming to an end - and this years Yr 5s will have done it so can't repeat it as year 6s next year.

My friend is keen to introduce philosophy but the P4C stuff isn't really suitable as it needs to be integrated into the school day and so is difficult to run as a stand-alone for these children.

I'm sure that lots of you will have fantastic ideas ....
    Thanks

2. Google 'Thunks' (I think thhere is actually a powerpoint on the resources bit of this site.)
    I use these with some of my gifted and talented children as I sadly have no time this yea for P4C, which I usually do as a whole class activity. The Thunks are a list of 'fun' questions that raise common philosophical themes that children (and a teacher) can discuss.

3. Wotworklifebalance

Thanks for that, I will pass it on.

4. Msz

Msz Established commenter

5. Wotworklifebalance