1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Philosophy ideas please!!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by CorinneSmith411, Aug 18, 2018.

1. CorinneSmith411

CorinneSmith411 New commenter

Hello, I'm looking to get some great ideas and resources for Philosophy. I'm trying to create a scope and sequence for Kindergarten-Year 6 and I'm looking for "umbrella" style themes for each term (eg: Power, friendship, emotions, racism, stereotyping). Would love any ideas or resources people may have!!

2. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Lead commenter

P4C website has lots of ideas. I have also often used resources from The Literacy Shed for P4C.

pepper5 and cassandramark2 like this.
  3. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

Teach your pupils how to read, write, speak & behave. These children will be too young for genuine philosophy and certainly should not be indoctrinated into postmodern ideas on power, race &c.

pepper5, harsh-but-fair and celago22 like this.
  4. modgepodge

modgepodge Established commenter

P4c will develop their speech, and potentially their behaviour. I have covered racism with y6 in p4c and they coped fine. I don’t believe I indoctrinated them.

The philosophy man has done good resources OP.

vannie and pepper5 like this.
  5. Vince_Ulam

Good teaching will do that, and has done for generations, without the need for 'P4C' or critical theory.

Year 6 are not 'kindergarten' and there is plenty of other content in the Primary curriculum to be taught & learnt without bringing in anything else. Teach your pupils what is required and leave your politics at home.

pepper5 likes this.
  6. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

pepper5 likes this.
  7. modgepodge

modgepodge Established commenter

Just because something isn’t ‘needed’ doesn’t mean it can’t be used. Of course there isn’t a NEED for p4c, plenty of schools manage fine without it. However I find it a good way of getting children to think, consider different viewpoints, listen to each other, develop their ability to formulate arguments and much more. I personally think these are skills worth developing in the primary classroom -alongside reading and writing of course. Plus the children enjoy the sessions (gasp!) - not the MOST important factor, but a handy bonus nonetheless. There are many ways to skin a cat and if someone wants to use p4c, why not?

Racism was one of the topics to be covered within the RE scheme my school wants me to use. A session of p4c discussing the material was a much more interesting way to cover the content than the dull lesson outlined in the scheme. I was observed that lesson and the observer was happy with what she saw. She didn’t feel I was teaching anything unnecessary, or being overly political. She felt many of the ‘soft’ skills covered were of great use and advised me to continue using such methods. I’d agree a session on racism with kindergarten would probably not be appropriate.

pepper5 likes this.
  8. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

As soon as children start to notice other people, lessons on racism are appropriate. Certainly PSHCE should include learning that everyone is equal regardless of physical appearance, background, accent, etc. Maybe not a one hour P4C discussion on racism, but certainly children in kindergarten/nursery/pre-school/whatever should be being taught that tolerance and respect for all are expectations.

pepper5 and modgepodge like this.
  9. Vince_Ulam

When I see a teacher flailing about with trendy, talky schemes like P4C I recognise them immediately as someone who cannot teach their pupils the basics of the curriculum but who wants to look busy anyway. These are often the teachers who complain the most about SATs.

10. RCHope94

RCHope94 New commenter

We use the If Machine by Peter Worley as basis for philosophical inquiry. We adapt the inquires as needed according to the year group. It’s a really good basis to start and you could develop it for younger years too! Would certainly recommend it.

We’ve found that regular Philosophy lessons and style questions has enhanced our wider curriculum learning, especially in terms of our children’s reasoning. Philosophy isn’t necessarily a stand-alone subject but rather one that underlines any form of thinking, whether it be during a maths lesson or a history lesson. I hope that you enjoy bringing it to life in your school!

hammie likes this.
  11. hammie

hammie Lead commenter

you must be lucky enough to have pupils arriving in school who can discuss in a reasonably civilized manner, we don't so have to teach them the skills and p4c is useful as one of the tools for doing that. Other than that 14 years of full time education gives plenty of time to teach the basics. Those who can't make the time to teach such as p4c clearly need too long to teach the basics.

12. Vince_Ulam

As I said:

If a person occupying a Primary teacher position believes that children needs fourteen years to be taught the basics of the curriculum then they must be dismissed and replaced by someone who understands & is capable of performing the role of Primary teacher and who understands the potential of Primary aged children. No question of it.

If it takes fourteen years to teach children the basics of the curriculum then it is the fault of the wrong people occupying Primary teacher positions and teaching the wrong things, timewasting diversions like 'P4C'.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2018