1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Philosophy/Debating Club At Lunchtime

Discussion in 'Primary' started by icthus, Feb 8, 2017.

1. icthus

icthus New commenter

I am considering starting a Philosophy Club for KS2 from scratch and wondered if anyone has any tips, recommended sites/resourses and a good name for the club! The best I've thought of is 'A Plate With Plato' , but it seems a bit wordy!
    Thanks Guys

2. NewToTeachingOldToMaths

NewToTeachingOldToMaths Lead commenter

So far as a name goes, you could do worse than shamelessly steal the title of one of Bernard Levin's books of his collected writings:

All Things Considered

3. icthus

icthus New commenter

Thank you! We will consider your suggestion!;):)

4. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

P4C - for rationale / resources and possible name !

u7f21 likes this.
  5. hareonskis

hareonskis New commenter

This is more me reminiscing than providing tips :). I used to run one of these at my (secondary) school. I started it with a group of interested year 8s and we kept going until they left year 13. It was LOVELY. One of the best things I have done in my career. It did seem to work better having the kids all be from the same year group - we tried inviting a mix of ages at one point but when the range was more than a year or two it became very difficult for everyone to get something out of it without leaving people behind. There might be formats that would allow a wider age range but I'm not sure how I would approach that.

Our format was to pick a topic at the beginning of a lunchtime. I had a book called Philosophy for Kids that had some suggestions, but before long the kids brought more than enough ideas of their own. One or more of the group would make a suggestion at the start and we would vote on them. And then we would discuss. Anyone with something to say would raise their hand and have their name put down on a list so we always knew who was next. My role was partly to keep a note of whose turn it was to speak and partly to do a bit of steering/pointing-out philosophical ideas/asking for clarification (What do you mean by that? How do you know?). It wasn't strictly P4C, mainly because I find that format to be a bit stifling especially when you don't have bags of time.

It was very much a philosophy rather than a debate club - i discouraged rhetoric and asked for clarity of argument instead. There were rarely more than 7 or 8 people around the table.

It was great. I hope you guys have as much fun as I did.

6. thebeerking79

thebeerking79 New commenter

I found this resource which works for clubs and the whole school - votesforschools.com. A school in Stoke used it and their debating club ballooned in size. Every week they send through a new set of resources, which keeps it fresh. The debating club could be in control of the voting sharing the results in school.

7. godwin86

godwin86 New commenter

8. u7f21

u7f21 New commenter

P4C as a website has some very good resources that can be used thematically. It's great!

9. SK0123

SK0123 New commenter

Something to chew on?

10. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

"Wasting Children's Well-Earned Lunch Break".