1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Philosophical q: anyone taken a pay cut and ended up happier?

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by becky70, Mar 25, 2010.

1. Took a huge cut when I first went on to supply but was much happier because I hated my permanent post. I found as I went on I got more work and got closer to my full time salary. Back teaching full time for now anyway.
    You could see this as temporary - a stepping stone to better paid jobs.

2. ScienceGuy

ScienceGuy Occasional commenter

Yes - I went from being a HoD to going back to being a classroom teacher going from a special measures school to an outstanding school. If I hadn't moved I doubt that my sanity would have survived. Since the move I have had three promotions (in four years) so career wise it has definitely been a good move

3. Took a major pay cut in 1991 (5 figs) when moving from successful career in industry to become a teacher. Never been happier.

4. Okay, great - the response has been very encouraging. So no-one sees it as a step backwards career wise? I'm just worried as I've spent a number of years working up the pay spine, and it's a bit daunting to feel I'm effectively starting again!

5. becktonboy

becktonboy New commenter

Once resigned from SLT and went back to being a classroom teacher and subject leader. Changed my life, regained a lot of my health, saved a relationship etc etc. It paved the way for a different chapter of conflict with management but that became another story from which I emerged stronger...

6. Took a fairly large paycut to become a teacher. I am much happier. Whether or not you will be too depends on how important your salary (or rather, the things it buys you) is to you. Are those things more important than job satisfaction/working hours etc? For some people, they would be.

7. Leapyearbaby64

Leapyearbaby64 New commenter

I read once that the average adult has 3 different careers - either in terms of industry type or role within an organisation. I think it goes to show that everyone gets stale, stressed and disillusioned with what they are doing.

8. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

When I moved into teaching my salary fell by 2/3. After 5 years I am still well below what I used to earn. It was definitely worth it. I feel happy and fulfilled plus I have the time to myself that I needed.

9. Last year, my husband and I both did this (to the extreme). He had worked for a bank for years and I was an AST on the SLT. We both packed in and moved to Northern Finland without either of us having work. Now, I'm teaching at an International School and he has started his own business. Financially, we have a quarter of what we had at home but we have a lifestyle that we had never dreamt of. We now buy clothes and the kids sports equipment from the local fleamarket but we also spend hours of every day with them and have time to play and chat and laugh. It's wonderful!
    I think that personal wellbeing and family life are worth way more than a salary. I guess for you, it depends on the job you're taking. My advice would be to work out whether you can live on the new salary. If you can then forget the salary and decide whether you would enjoy the work.
    Good luck, whatever you decide!

10. Thank you so much, this is the encouragement I needed.
    I am desperate to get away from the politics and paper work of being Head of Maths. I just want to be a teacher again and regain my health.
    My letter of application is written I'm just waiting for a standard scale job nearby to come up and I'm off.
    Thanks again.

11. I resigned as a subject leader in a core subject without any other job to go to (basically just fed up of the constant teaching to the test that SLT had pressured us to do). Got offered a job 6 months later - on about 1/3 of my previous salary for about 1/5 of the hours. Best thing that ever happened to me. Thoroughly recommend it to anyone. It sounds like a cliche, but there really are more important things in life than deadlines and output targets. Again, I'm as far from a 'cosmic' as it's possible to be, but life really is too short.

12. I left industry fifteen years ago, took a role of TA ten years ago. Lost 20k, gained a happy family, watched and helped my child develop. Money isn't everything, your time and health is what matters.

13. I hope no-one minds but I've rated my own thread 5 stars because I'm actually really excited now. All of your posts have been the best thing I could have read. The job I've applied for is with a charity, hence they paycut, and although I've not yet heard if I'm even shortlisted, I'm excited to be seriously thinking about trying something different and meaningful, even with a drop in salary. It's good to know how many people's quality of life has improved by taking what might initially appear to be a side or back step. I've been feeling a bit hippified of late and reading the Dalai Lama's 'Pursuit of Happiness at Work', hence my hippy thread title and the train of thought leading to this thread in the first place.

14. hence the paycut, I meant.

15. snowstorm

snowstorm New commenter

Good Luck!!

16. Yes I took a very significant pay cut 3 years ago. I was a deputy head and decided I'd had enough. I wanted my life back. I took a £10,000 pay cut to become a class teacher and I've never looked back and glad I made the change and enjoying my life again.

17. PP just go and do it if you really want to opt out of your present career for a while. In Ireland we have all been forced into pay cuts. My salary has gone down by 400 euro per month net. Was not always a teacher and used redundancy to support myself and child through training. Not easy. I have been unemployed, a cleaner, a sub teacher, part-time, full time worker and mother or both. Follow what will give you satisfaction. It's surprising how being happy in the morning going to work makes the rest of you life a whole lot better.

18. Took a huge pay cut several years ago from being a researcher in a pharmaceutical company to a "volunteer" for an NGO!
    Any regrets.....only for 5 minutes every payday. I just looked at it as down-payment for my happiness/sanity.

19. That is the right approach. Many teachers are actually paid quite well if you look at how much they earn per hour. My MBA classmates make a ton, but work 70 work weeks(which surveys show is the norm) and get 2 weeks off a year. .

I took a big pay cut to come teach. Would be happy but they paid me less than others, since I didn't negotiate well (believing they were restrained by budgets) and they knew my business (teaching Chinese to foreigners in China) was experiencing difficulties after a visa policy change. Knowing that they stuck it to me because I shared my experience with them burns me more than the actual pay. Especially since a MBA from a top school is earning less than someone with a BA degree. So sometimes the principle is more important than the money. . .

20. I thought of it as a considered career change, rather than a backward step. You have chosen to do this, to enhance your life. You aren't really starting again, but moving in a different direction. I hope you will find that the people who matter to you will respect you, and support you in your decision.