1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Philip Hammond plans to quit if Johnson becomes PM

Discussion in 'Personal' started by nomad, Jul 21, 2019.

1. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Philip Hammond has said he intends to resign as chancellor if Boris Johnson becomes UK PM.

Mr Hammond told the BBC leadership frontrunner Boris Johnson was "likely" to become the next PM, and a no-deal Brexit was "not something I could ever sign up to".

Mr Johnson has said the UK must leave the EU by 31 October with or without a deal.

Mr Hammond said it was important the next PM and his chancellor were "closely aligned" on Brexit.

And I don't blame him!

mathsmutt, emerald52 and Marshall like this.
  2. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

I think that probably counts as the least surprising piece of political news this week. Quit before thrown overboard!

3. peakster

peakster Star commenter

He's been packing his stuff already....

Even by Tory standards - this new cabinet will be unpleasant.

mathsmutt, emerald52 and Marshall like this.
  4. peakster

peakster Star commenter

If anyone's looking for Phil this morning - he'll be at a car boot sale somewhere in London

nomad likes this.
  5. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

I think the Johnson has made it pretty clear he would sack Hammond anyway. Interesting article by Andrew Rawnsley in the Guardian/Observer (website) today about Boris (for those not too prejudiced to actually read the Guardian). The stuff about Arron Banks is interesting too.

6. MAGAorMIGA

MAGAorMIGA Star commenter

David Davis the new Chancellor? Let's hope he remembers to bring his briefing papers to meetings this time.

mathsmutt, emerald52 and nomad like this.
  7. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Mark Francois as Foreign Secretary ?.

Priti Patel as home secretary ?

emerald52 likes this.
  8. Marshall

Marshall Star commenter

Dreading the new weeks!

9. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

The bookies are giving odds on Sajid Javid for Chancellor.

10. Marshall

Marshall Star commenter

new weeks = next few weeks!!!

mathsmutt likes this.
  11. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Enjoy - it will be utterly hilarious.

bombaysapphire and emerald52 like this.
  12. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Not exactly a surprise...George Osbourne didn't hang around long after Cameron departed either.

And let's face it... he's jumping before he gets pushed.

13. dumpty

dumpty Star commenter

Hammond was getting used to trolling May and getting away with it. Problem is for ANY Brexit supporting leader Hammond had made it very clear he was a liability - but more in the way keeping him would be seen as same old, same old.

For to be fair Hammond did not - and will not he said today - vote to stop Brexit.

14. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Actually......he didn't.

15. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

Welcome back the Nasty Party...;)

16. peakster

peakster Star commenter

They never went away.

MAGAorMIGA and FrankWolley like this.
  17. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

As chancellors of recent history go, I think Hammond did a reasonable job in difficult circumstances. I doubt his successor will last very long, even if we don't get an early GE.

For Britain, Brexit is as complex as getting men on the moon and back again. Probably even more so, since there were loads of trial runs testing each stage of the moon landing before the final event.

emerald52 likes this.
  18. Jolly_Roger15

Jolly_Roger15 Star commenter

As Andrew Rawnsley's article suggests, once Boris gets into Number 10, he will soon get found out. When he was Mayor of London, he was surrounded by experienced people, who did know what they were doing, to nullify most of his buffoonery. As PM, he will be beset by experienced people, who know what they are doing, such as the EU negotiators, who will soon make him look a fool. Indeed, the EU will no more take Boris as a reasoned politician than they would Farage. For Boris, it is all about the appearance of power, not the sensible exercising of it. To be sure of getting into Number 10, he would bare his bum in Harrod's window.

emerald52 likes this.
  19. dumpty

dumpty Star commenter

This mindset I find very curious. Who are these top and skilled negotiators within the EU that you seem to imply we should fear?

20. dumpty

dumpty Star commenter

He said he would support a deal (the last vote was the only time he voted against, yet as he said that was simply about if parliament should have a say, not stopping it all ) and when pushed on if he would vote the government down should it go for no deal, was very cagey and non committal, to the point Marr said 'you are all talk but no action' or such.

What did you hear that gave you the impression he was saying he would stop Brexit?