1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Phil Lynott

Discussion in 'Personal' started by lindenlea, Feb 15, 2016.

1. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

Just heard a bit of Thin Lizzy on R4 because it's 30 years since Phil Lynott died,( although according to google it was Jan 4th that he died not Feb 15th.) They were marvellous and those riffs just give me a thrill.

FrankWolley, smoothnewt and Yoda- like this.
  2. Yoda-

Yoda- Lead commenter

Yes Thin Lizzy with Phil Lynott and Gary Moore. Magic!

Gary was good on his own for a while...

FrankWolley likes this.
  3. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Saw Thin Lizzy at Lewisham Odeon in late 1977. Great concert.

4. smoothnewt

smoothnewt Star commenter

Thin Lizzy was the first band I ever went to see live: Imperial College 1975. Great energy!

I was just sixteen and travelled in from the suburbs on the train with my cousins, one of whom decided to spend the journey in the overhead luggage rack. How we laughed! (You had to be there.)

5. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

I love his version of Whisky in the Jar.

FrankWolley and lindenlea like this.
  6. RedQuilt

RedQuilt Star commenter

He knocked me flying on the King's Road back in the early 80s. I shouted 'eff off' at him and he shouted the same back. In my book that's an actual conversation ;).
    Great band.

7. smoothnewt

smoothnewt Star commenter

That's a great rock n roll anecdote.

Was there some form of transport involved, or was he just a bit too free and easy with his fists?

8. RedQuilt

RedQuilt Star commenter

The only form of transport was feet. He was sort of swaggering along and veered into me. He was SO tall and I hadn't passed 5 foot at that age. Looking back it's quite funny but I didn't think so at the time :)

9. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

I heard an interview with his mother once. A young Catholic girl in the late 40s (or early 50s) she became pregnant by a visiting Nigerian who went on his way unaware. She spent time in one of the notorious nun's homes for unmarried mothers and received abuse for being a loose woman as well as racist abuse for having a mixed race child despite which she refused to have him adopted. She brought him up single handed by doing cleaning jobs and begging bones from the butcher to make soup then after all her love and fighting for him he only went and killed himself with a heroin overdose! I really felt for her loss although who knows what scars his early experiences inflicted on him.

10. FlyingFoxBat

FlyingFoxBat New commenter

^ It's appalling how unmarried mothers and their kids were treated in the past :( .

My friend's mum introduced us (my friend and me) to 'Thin Lizzy' when we were about 16 and their music kind of provided the soundtrack to our summer. My favourite songs are 'Out in the Fields' (technically a collaboration between Phil Lynott and Gary Moore after the latter left 'Thin Lizzy') and 'Dancing in the Moonlight.' Re. Gary Moore's solo stuff, I love 'Over the Hills and Far Away' (both his original version and 'Nightwish's cover.)

RedQuilt likes this.
  11. Alf58

Alf58 Established commenter

Emerald is a particular favourite Thin Lizzy track of mine.

12. Mad dog

Mad dog New commenter

4th of Jan

I have one of those memories

13. Alf58

Alf58 Established commenter

Come on don't keep us in suspense!