1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Phewit!

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Duke of York, Nov 22, 2015.

1. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

If you were considering writing a book that you could teach your dog or cat to read with, which words or sounds would you include in it to get them started?

Could you write a story that would interest a cat or a dog, based on familiar sounds they have learned and recognise in written words once you've taught them, in the same way that happens with kids?

Which words or noises would you use?

I'm pretty sure I could teach both my dog and cat to recognise "No!" if I showed it to them often enough, but that's hardly the stuff to engage them in learning to read, is it?

I want to find out whether we have a genius on here who understands pets better than most and has the skill to write a story that either my dog or cat would find interesting enough to study, if and when I have the time and patience to sit them on my lap and go through it with them.

2. Duke of York

You can see from the lack of response, how early the imaginative need to go to bed on Sunday nights to hold down a job these days, can't you? It wasn't always thus.

3. Orkrider2

Orkrider2 Star commenter

Excuse me for going all tumblr, but wotdafuq u on???

I don't think animals have the cognitive ability to break down words into their component phonics which is necessary in order to learn to read. You may be able to teach them to recognise the shape of certain words through operant conditioning, but a difference in font would probably negate that ability.

grumpydogwoman likes this.
  4. Duke of York

Clockwork imagination. Every now and then I give it a wind it up to see what it comes up with.

5. VanDerValk

VanDerValk Occasional commenter

Wouldn't you be better with a scratch n' sniff book? Whatever happened to those, I wonder?

6. sabrinakat

sabrinakat Star commenter

My cat Sabrina always slept on my books but am not sure she ever opened them to read them...did also enjoy walking across the laptop keyboard as well..

7. cissy3

cissy3 Star commenter

Tweet tweet tweet

Miaow

Chomp chomp

Is that the sort of thing you mean Duke? (said in soothing voice)
    :D

Duke of York likes this.
  8. Orkrider2

Orkrider2 Star commenter

You could start by solving this problem...

[​IMG]

sabrinakat, Duke of York and cissy3 like this.
  9. Duke of York

I don't know, cissy. I'd like to think there was more that animals and humans might learn from each other. Wouldn't you love to know what a dog finds so fascinating by whatever it sniffs on its travels and by what a cat finds so disgusting to sniff, it will fight like a demon to avoid going near?

cissy3 likes this.
  10. Eureka!

Eureka! Lead commenter

Richard Dawkins can come to your rescue Duke! In one of his books he mentions how dogs, having an acute sense of smell, might enjoy being exposed to a series of complex molecules, differing from each other by just one atom. Something like that. He might even have described it as "reading for dogs". It was in a section challenging the notion that only humans could embrace culture, I think...

11. Eureka!

Eureka! Lead commenter

It gets a little eruption of reward and excitement hormones I should guess. Memory would sometimes be triggered, e.g. "smelling that a lot", "big black dog I only see in the park", "sexy dog next door", which might contribute to the hormone production.

12. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

You want a parrot.

Which one is green? He answers: four.

cissy3 and Eureka! like this.
  13. indusant

indusant Senior commenter

14. grumpydogwoman

Why would I want them to read?

They have other jobs to do. I'm not leaving them a note: Go and chase the squirrels. Don't poo in the house. Stay out of the pond.

They're fine as they are. How else am I going to feel superior to them?

15. Ladykaza

Ladykaza Senior commenter

Sound of a can opening, actually the sound of any human going vaguely in the direction of the cupboard, would get their attention.

Don't know about reading but my mog is certainly a conversationalist - I know exactly what he means when explaining to the neighbour's cat why he should indeed remain on his side of the road..... at 4am!

cissy3, grumpydogwoman and sabrinakat like this.
  16. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

One of my dogs always used to come up and listen to the bedtime story when my niece came to stay. He might have enjoyed it or he might have been fighting back against the extra demands on my attention. He is a very clingy boy!

17. Eureka!

Eureka! Lead commenter

Would it have been unethical to introduce a dead parrot into the conversation?

cissy3 likes this.
  18. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Our cat definitely knows the meaning of the human word 'Fish' as opposed to other food words we use. Her reaction to it is very different.

Our other cat used to have a distinct word for 'bird' in cat speak - you could always tell what she was watching when she said it.

cissy3 likes this.
  19. Didactylos4

Didactylos4 Star commenter

Only if it was a Norwegian Blue

cissy3 likes this.
  20. grumpydogwoman

It wasn't DEAD. It was just resting!

cissy3 likes this.