1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Phew.....

Discussion in 'Personal' started by peakster, Sep 28, 2020.

1. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Kid in my form has had a Covid test in the last couple of days.

Got home this evening and there is an email which says "Covid test result" from his Mum

Oh - Oh I thought........

But it's negative.

Big relief.

LiamD, Nanny Ogg, mothorchid and 9 others like this.
  2. nomad

nomad Star commenter

The large majority of test results are negative.

red_observer likes this.
  3. red_observer

red_observer Star commenter

Some kid in my lesson today was coughing badly and I must admit to being nervous. And for the other kids in the room.

4. peakster

peakster Star commenter

We've had quite a few kids get tested in the last week.

No positive tests yet.

5. rararasputin

rararasputin Lead commenter

Glad to hear it. I just feel like it's a matter of time though before a pupil or member of staff tests positive ...

Sally006 likes this.
  6. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

It's the ones that aren't coughing that you need to worry about...

coffeekid and ajrowing like this.
  7. modelmaker

modelmaker Star commenter

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...ded-by-inadequate-covid-tests-experts-suggest

"Inadequate tests for Covid-19, based on poor or dodgy data, are proliferating in the UK because there are no clear rules on what companies have to prove before they can sell them, experts believe.

The Royal Statistical Society (RSS) has set up a working group to investigate and draw up guidelines for the companies making the tests and those who assess them and buy them. The organisation says there are “concerns about a lack of basic statistical evidence on clinical and analytical performance of a number of new diagnostic tests that are available”.

The group is led by the RSS president, Prof Deborah Ashby, together with Prof Jon Deeks, who has pointed out the failings of a number of tests. Deeks has cast doubt on the claim that an antibody test made by Abingdon Health and backed by the government is “99.4% accurate” and lambasted a test from iAbra – trialled at Heathrow airport – which claimed 99.8% accuracy on the basis of three samples."

8. red_observer

red_observer Star commenter

Why

9. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

The Debbie Ashby?

10. modelmaker

modelmaker Star commenter

Are you getting confused with Debee Ashby, the page three girl?

11. hhhh

hhhh Star commenter

But surely it's inevitable that one will be positive soon- all our local schools seem to have at least one year shut!

Not to mention the parents who won't get a test as they don't want the hassle/don't realise that they have it/try to get a test but can't/don't take the test correctly (one child has just been for his second test at a drive in venue-his first (home) test came back negative, this one was positive-Dad admitted he probably didn't do it properly!
    By the law of average, many children must be positive. Even those who have parents who tried to keep them safe have to send them to schools in which there are many children whose parents have been on holiday/in pubs/at massive parties.
    I wonder whether they'd behave differently if they'd seen what it had done to some of the people I know. Or if their hospital appointments wee cancelled due to the infection rise, or if they couldn't visit family in hospital, and had to find out that their loved ones are declining badly, alone?
    Sorry if I sound bitter-it just makes me sick how selfish our society is. Anyway, I hope that test result is accurate, ad that you stay safe.

Pageant and Sally006 like this.
  12. hhhh

hhhh Star commenter

Because they ain't gonna get taken for that test...and they'll be merrily spreading it around the school, potentially killing many people, as their classmates take it home to vulnerable relatives. Or the teachers-did your window ever get sorted, Red? I'm taking it you are ok, so far? Hope you are.

coffeekid likes this.
  13. Sally006

Sally006 Star commenter

I must admit it has concerned me greatly results from kids test as I didn’t realise until recently that parents have to do them not the professionals. It cannot be easy doing it on resistant kids. It hardly surprising so many results are coming back inconclusive or negative. The other issue is the wait. 5 days after symptoms may well result in a negative test. Like you I suspect there is a lot more about in schools than we realise.

14. Katzenjammer

Katzenjammer Senior commenter

As far as I can see it can only be a question of when, not if, schools become foci of infection. For family reasons I don't want to go into, I am in domiciliary domestic contact with two adults and three schoolchildren who between them cover four schools. Covid has appeared in three of them, and it can only be a matter of time before one of them becomes infected. If one of them infects me then I am quite likely to die for reasons which again I have no wish to detail. In an ideal world I would hire an eco-pod somewhere in the Inner Hebrides and live on pesto, pasta and single-malt whisky for the next six months and I could do this if I maxed out a credit card I would have little hope of repaying. But hey! why worry? Pret a Manger and Wetherspoons will stay in business and so donations to the Tory party will be guaranteed.

15. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

It's possible: I would need some pointers to identity.

LiamD and Nanny Ogg like this.
  16. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Had that in one of mine... sent the kid to reception and he was sent home. Irresponsible of parents to be sending them in in such a condition.

17. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Oh no... healthy people! Quick, something new to be afraid of.

18. Sally006

Sally006 Star commenter

Not at all. Scintilliant was referring to the asymptomatic kids as well you know. Kids with symptoms can be isolated, kids without can’t and unknowingly spread. It is a worry. What’s the betting this is why so many students are succumbing - not the partying.

Spot checks periodically in all educational settings would really help but they won’t as it spoils the narrative they want people to believe that such places are safe.

Had this virus attacked the very young the whole response would have been so very different. The utilitarian arguments that only a small number are affected so no need to unduly concerned, just would not have been used. Because it’s the over 60s and those with health problems and disabilities, then it’s ok to carry on letting Covid rage.

Professor friend tells me that deaths in the learning disability group has increased by 134% due to Covid. No one gives it a mention.

nervousned likes this.
  19. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

Asymptomatic carriers.

Thanks for turning up though.

20. sparklepig2002

sparklepig2002 Star commenter

That's Interesting. Did he say why this should be the case? Adults or children? Do you have any links? Thanks.