1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Phew! What a Scortcher!

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Duke of York, Apr 20, 2019.

1. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

According to the BBC, today has been the hottest day of the year, with the temperature in Gosport, Hampshire being recorded at 25.5C.

I'm not so surprised. Today isn't particularly unusual for Gosport, as it's down as the warmest part of the country in any season. It hardly ever snows in Gosport, due to it being protected from the weather by the surrounding landcape, so it will always be a good place to go, if you're looking for what a scortcher headlines.

Sadly, there ain't much to do in Gosport on a holiday weekend, unless you're interested in naval military history.

My sweetheart has said she wants to go somewhere tomorrow and when I asked where, she hinted at the New Forest. I'm going to have to find a way of saying kindly, "Are you 'aving a larf or wot?"

On any other day, the New Forest is about 45 minutes away from us, but tomorrow you'd be looking at 3 hours to get there and the same back. I'm an atheist, but I'd rather spend the day in church than suffer the misery of being stuck in a traffic jam on the M27 in the sweltering heat. Does that make me a bad person? What if I dissauded her from the journey, but didn't go to church after all? Would that make me an even worse person?

After all, we can do the New Forest any day of the week and let those who who have to travel far to enjoy what we have on our doorstep in peace.

So if anyone has an alternative suggestion for another part of the country my sweetheart might enjoy visiting tomorrow as an alternative to the New Forest, send me a postcard, prefferably one with a second class stamp attached.

agathamorse likes this.
  2. Jude Fawley

Jude Fawley Star commenter

Blissed out and no further than the garden gate.

I'm considering a run up to Woolsthorpe Manor next Wednesday but for now it's just taking in the sun.

agathamorse likes this.
  3. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Star commenter

Is there a nice walk nearby? I'm off to my sister's, but if I were not we'd be aiming to take the shortest drive we could for a walk and a picnic, in the current weather.

agathamorse likes this.
  4. Wotton

Wotton Lead commenter

Should have been in the garden today but it was too warm. Tomorrow planning a walk and picnic along the canal.

agathamorse likes this.
  5. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Star commenter

I spent half the day putting my neighbour's escape-artist ducks back in their pen, only for them to get out again.

agathamorse likes this.
  6. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

Why did you bother asking her where she wanted to go? If she "hints" at a destination, then clearly she is depending on you to get her there. Are you not bothered about finding a way to oblige?
    If you left early enough you could avoid the traffic and the heat, and you could get a nice breakfast there. And whatever time you leave, traffic away from the Forest is never going to be as clogged up as traffic to it.

You make her seem like a chore when actually she has suggested a very lovely destination on what looks to be a very lovely day, Perhaps the chore would be lessened if you actually said to her "no, I cannot deal with all that traffic,not even for someone as lovely as you"

I dare you.

1 person likes this.
  7. Over_the_hill

Over_the_hill Star commenter

The traffic might not be that bad, with a 4 day weekend it’s likely to be worse on the Friday and Monday. Go on, give her a nice day out! :)

agathamorse likes this.
  8. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Lead commenter

Long walk in the sunshine yesterday. Family coming to lunch today, so lots of cooking. Would like to go to the coast tomorrow, but think we'd spend most of the day on the M25 with this weather, so it will be somewhere more local for us!

agathamorse likes this.
  9. Bedlam3

Bedlam3 Lead commenter

I usually stay at home on bank holidays because of the traffic and crowds.
    I will have local walks and sit in my garden.

agathamorse likes this.
  10. Ezzie

Ezzie Occasional commenter

Spare a thought for those of us living in Scotland for whom today (Monday) is a normal working day :(!

11. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

Traffic on the A494 (the main route off the M56 into Wales) was backed up by 9:15 on Friday morning, and 10:00 on Saturday morning. I assume going to Snowdonia, Anglesey, North Wales Coast etc... The traffic itself is not a worry, but drivers seem to drive much more stupidly on bank holidays. This could be the kids with "are we there yet", or the melting Easter eggs. But the "nee-nahs" were screaming by yesterday on and off, so I guess some people had their holiday spoilt.