1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

pheasant

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by beckycharles, Nov 26, 2011.

1. Hi all,
    After a good day at the BBC Good Food Show, I've come home with a pheasant. I have neither cooked nor eaten pheasant and want to serve it for dinner tomorrow. How do I roast it? I'm not sure what size it is as no info on packaging!
    Thanks in advance,
    Becky

2. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

I sit the pheasant on a bed of root veggies (carrots, red onion, celeriac, parsnip), cover it with streaky bacon and butter, stuff a sprig of fresh thyme inside the bird then pour over half a bottle of red wine, cover with foil and roast.
    While the bird is resting, pass the pan juices and veggies through a sieve, then rub enough of the veggies through the sieve to thicken the juices and make a yummy gravy.
    I serve with separate roasted root veggies and potato and celeriac mash.
    Yummy!

3. That sounds delicious! Thanks, can't wait to try it!

4. henriette

henriette New commenter

what she said for whole birds.
    I like pan fried pheasant breast with redcurrant jelly and a splash of white wine in teh pan juices to make a sauce served with a gratin or lightly braised shredded savoy.

5. BelleDuJour

I ran a pheasant over today. Bang! Straight under the front wheel. Sadly only good enough for pate of stuffing a pillow!

6. henriette

henriette New commenter

In the past 20 years I have possibly run over 20 pheasant on the road in front of your house!!!!!

7. inky

inky Lead commenter

A question for people who [like me, usually] are not lucky enough to be handed the birds as a gift: how much are you paying for the at the moment? They're £3at our nearest game stockist, and that seems reasonable enough to me.

8. henriette

henriette New commenter

sounds good if they are hanged, gutted and plucked

9. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

I have two pheasants in the freezer from the Farmers' Market a couple of weeks ago. We have friends coming for dinner this Thursday so I am going to try your roasting method Belle. Any additional tips appreciated!
    One of my guests has a gluten allergy so thickening the gravy with sieved veggies sounds ideal.

10. BelleDuJour

Just follow the recipe Bombay.......no other tips needed. It's a lovely way of serving pheasant.
    BTW I served this to Mr Belle on the night he pooped the question!

11. bombaysapphire

Wow - not sure I want that effect but hopefully it will get us a good Christmas pressie!

12. BelleDuJour

Ermmmm......I mean 'popped' not 'pooped'! LOL! [​IMG]

13. bombaysapphire

Thank you Belle. The pheasant was lovely. Really tender and tasty. No-one proposed but everyone enjoyed it!
    Just off to buy some veggies so I can boil up the carcasses for stock.