1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Pheasant

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by found nemo, Dec 22, 2010.

1. Help! It would appear I have a brace of very fresh pheasants waiting for me at home. They were running around the moors less than 24 hours ago. I have never plucked or gutted a bird before and not sure I want to now but don't want to waste them. How long should they hang for? Anyone plucked birds before? Thanks!

2. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

2-3 days for hanging, do you have a local, friendly butcher? May draw and pluck them for you, but if not, pluck after hanging, grasp a small handful of feathers and sort of yank them out.

3. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

Mind your teeth on the lead shot though.

4. henriette

henriette New commenter

we did this 2 weeks ago - do a forum search

5. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

If the whole plucking and drawing saga is not for you (I've done it many times and it is tedious, hard work, a bit yukky - no, very yukky - and the result often looks like road kill) then just skin the birds and take off the breast meat.
    If you've not dressed a bird in feathers before I strongly suggest you do the above!

6. Thanks. Have decided skinning is the way forward. Tomorrow night's the night!

7. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

You'll be glad you did!
    TBH the only way of getting a plucked and drawn bird looking edible is to take it to a butcher or game dealer who will do it for you. Plucking by hand (instead of machine) often tears the skin and leaves little fluffy bits all over the bird. They're often only good for casserole, definitely not roasting.
    Skinning and tsking off breast meat is simple. If you can skin the lot you might be able to rescue bits of leg nand bones for stock.