1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Pheasant ideas please?

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by Professor Dumbledore, Feb 24, 2011.

1. Professor Dumbledore

Professor Dumbledore New commenter

Hi everyone,
    I may have posted something similar to this before but can't find it. My mum's kindly given me a big bag of 6 pheasant breasts and I'm keen to make a pie today for tomorrow night. Thing is, I have absolutely minimal ingredients. I have no wine and no mushrooms. I do have smoked bacon, onions, carrots, green beans and garlic. Oh, and loads of stock-type/gravy ingredients. Can't go out and get more things as I am ABSOLUTELY penniless till Saturday...
    Will I be able to knock something semi-decent up? It's for me and my fella tomorrow night and I really want it to be nice. Am even making the pastry from scratch! *Proud!*
    Any advice would be fantastic. Thanks!

2. Professor Dumbledore

Hi everyone,
    I may have posted something similar to this before but can't find it. My mum's kindly given me a big bag of 6 pheasant breasts and I'm keen to make a pie today for tomorrow night. Thing is, I have absolutely minimal ingredients. I have no wine and no mushrooms. I do have smoked bacon, onions, carrots, green beans and garlic. Oh, and loads of stock-type/gravy ingredients. Can't go out and get more things as I am ABSOLUTELY penniless till Saturday...
    Will I be able to knock something semi-decent up? It's for me and my fella tomorrow night and I really want it to be nice. Am even making the pastry from scratch! *Proud!*
    Any advice would be fantastic. Thanks!

3. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

Dice the bacon and fry in a dry pan over a low heat till the fat starts to run, Add a chopped onion, cook till soft. Dice a couple of pheasant breasts and add, toss around until the cubes are sealed. Add a spoonful of flour, stir and cook for a couple of minutes, then add chicken stock and some diced carrots. Bring to the boil and simmer for about an hour, taste and season, leave to cool. Make pastry, use the pheasant mix to make pie, leaving some of the sauce to use as gravy. Serve with mash and green beans.

4. Professor Dumbledore

Lapin, thank you SO much! [*]Can't wait to try it!

5. nick909

nick909 Lead commenter

Perfect.

6. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

You can add thyme or parsley and freeze the rest of the pheasant, in 2's would make it easier to use afterwards.

7. Professor Dumbledore

Oh my God!
    Am cooking it now, it smells sooooo good!
    [​IMG]

8. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

Good ingredients!! It is a very basic recipe that relies on the taste of the pheasant, everything else will enhance the flavour.

*Checks satnav for directions to Professor Dumbledore's place'
    What time is dinner tomorrow?

9. What a lovely thread.
    A bit of pheasant and household ingredients - and a meal to make your mouth water.
    That is how it should be [​IMG]

10. nick909

nick909 Lead commenter

Although I do keep reading it as "Peasant Ideas"
    *Gets shotgun*
    "Get orrfff moi laaaand"
    etc.
    [​IMG]

11. Professor Dumbledore

Ha! Sounds like my dad - pheasant (peasant!?) shooter extrordinaire!
    Yes, I agree with CQ - so nice when you can pull something together from not a lot. I also didn't realise stewing it all up was so crucial. When it was all just sitting in stock it didn't look or smell very appetizing at all. After simmering though, when the sauce had thickened, it was beautiful!
    Lapin, you would be more than welcome, but my bf is such a gannet I suspect you wouldn't get more than a sliver...
    I usually make enough pastry to put a bottom layer and a crust, but this time have only done a crust. Is this ok?

12. Forget the question "is this ok?".
    Anything is ok, if it tastes good. There are no real rules. A crust is just fine, Prof.
    Stop worrying and enjoy xxx

13. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

Perfect, a pastry bottom can go soggy, unless pre-cooked, so no soggy bottoms!!