1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

PhD value

Discussion in 'Professional development' started by mitchelljones1, Jan 9, 2012.

1. How many of you out there have a PhD or know someone who has?
    Notwithstanding the academic reasons for studying a PhD, does it bring any greater career prospects outside of HE?
    I am aware of a secondary headship in Oman that prefers a PhD and pays OMR3-3.5K (up to £4600pcm) tax free plus accommodation and children's school fees but what about elsewhere? From a career perspective, is it worth it?

2. How many of you out there have a PhD or know someone who has?
    Notwithstanding the academic reasons for studying a PhD, does it bring any greater career prospects outside of HE?
    I am aware of a secondary headship in Oman that prefers a PhD and pays OMR3-3.5K (up to £4600pcm) tax free plus accommodation and children's school fees but what about elsewhere? From a career perspective, is it worth it?

3. It did appear to give me an advantage in getting my teaching job, as my PhD research tropic had local links to school area, and the SLT doing the interview appeared interested in it when I talked about it. It also gave me an advantage in starting salary, as they started me half way up the pay spine despire it being my first ever proper job, and that was without me asking (I espected to start at the bottom of the pay spine so was pleasantly surprised). It is always nice when people call you Dr. In terms of getting promotion internally I don't think it would have any benefit. In terms of external promotion it might help you get interviews but once at the interview stage I don't think it would give you any advantage.