1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

PhD - thinking of teaching

Discussion in 'Thinking of teaching' started by Louise789, Jan 7, 2011.

1. I have a BA in Archaeology, MSc in Environmental Archaeology and am in the last year of my PhD. I have been considering applying for a PGCE and have previous experience of working with Primary and Secondary school children. I would like to teach either Geography or History, and teachers have told me that in schools they work in, many staff have to teach both.
    My PhD covers a lot of geographical topics and 19th century History. I am concerned that I may not be considered for a PGCE course because I do not have a History or Geography undergraduate degree. I am also concerned because one teacher has told me that having a PhD would be considered a negative when applying for teaching posts, and schools would rather have a History or Geography graduate.
    I know that some PGCE courses (Cambridge, for example) do take Archaeology graduates and that the RGS considers Archaeology an appropriate first degree for a Geography teacher. Despite this, as I cannot move and can only apply to my 3 nearest universities (my own university doesn't run PGCE courses), my opportunities are somewhat limited.
    I was hoping someone would advise me about their experiences of applying with a non-curriculum subject, or give their honest opinions about teachers having a PhD and about teachers without a straight History/Geography degree. I have considered gaining degree level credits in Geography by distance learning while working after my PhD, but feel this might make me look like I have taken a ridiculous number of qualifications.

2. Sillow

Sillow Senior commenter

I have a Combined BA in Dance and Film Studies and yet teach in a primary school. I can't speak for individual universities, but mine didn't seem worried about my choice of degree at all. Having the experience in schools will be very useful, as well as a passion for the subject. As for having a PhD, I don't know myself as I don't have one, but I'm really not sure why a uni or school would be put off by someone having a PhD. After all, a lot of schools are encouraging NQTs to gain an MA, so they can't be scared of extra qualifications!
    I say apply anyway!

3. I have a PhD in chemistry and haven't found a negative response from schools at all. There have been a few PhDs through my school, mainly maths and science but we had one in history a few years back. Some teachers can have a bit of a chip on their shoulder about people with PhDs but I've not found any schools where that is an issue with the management.