1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice

PhD but no PGCE: do I stand a chance?

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by TusitalaH, Apr 8, 2018.

  1. TusitalaH

    TusitalaH New commenter

    I will have an HEA teaching qualification by summer (barring disaster!). Thanks for your advice - it seems there's a few options to consider!
  2. hs9981

    hs9981 Established commenter

    Never never give them your original certificates!

    In Korea, for example they have a system where you can get 'official' grade transcripts, certificates, mortgage certificates ect from local council offices and uni's, from online 'e- machines' It's very good and efficient.

    The cost of this service is w500 (less than 30p) per page. Lots of officials simply cannot understand only being given ONE certificate to keep for life. I once saw a officer worker shred someone's Phd because they assumed it was one from a 'machine' 30p and they were 'protecting' their data!
  3. pepperinternational

    pepperinternational New commenter

    You do not have to have 2 years teaching experience. To work legally as an ESL teacher, you just need to meet one of the following requirements: 1. 2 years post university teaching experience; 2. hold teaching certificates such as TEFL/TESOL/CELTA; 3. Major in English or Education. Since your major for bachelor's and master's were English, you are qualified to work in China.
  4. TusitalaH

    TusitalaH New commenter

    Thanks for the info!
  5. TS65

    TS65 New commenter

    Thank you for bringing this subject up TusitalaH....in a not dissimilar position....PHD (with public presentation and published article) but no PGCE. Currently investigating opportunities abroad in education since the UK job sector I work in is nosediving fast.
  6. TusitalaH

    TusitalaH New commenter

    Hi TS65 - what subject is your PhD? Since this post I've had some encouraging feedback from Search Associates - it definitely seems like its possible, if you're flexible about where you're going. Doing a CELTA has been widely recommended though!
  7. TusitalaH

    TusitalaH New commenter

    I should also say I'm currently getting experience in a secondary school here, which I think will be essential too.
  8. nemo.

    nemo. Occasional commenter

    Do a PGCE its a no brainer. English gets a 15,000 pounds bursary. 10 months and you learn to teach - long term very well worth it. You get QTS after completing the PGCE as well (assuming you pass teaching observations). If you cant pass a PGCE with QTS no way you should ever be allowed near children to teach imho. Although extra experience is a good idea especially the induction year (in case you come back to UK) it isn't as big as a boost as QTS especially with a teaching partner and a PhD. 10 months get 15k for doing it and a much easier job market = no brainer.

    I have a PhD did a CELTA as I fell in love with a teacher and in the end realised a PGCE - QTS was the only way to earn a real stable salary.
  9. TS65

    TS65 New commenter

    Hi TusitalaH - PhD is in modern political history with work experience in media at well known global companies. I do have a CELTA from many years back too. Will look into Search Associates so thank you for flagging that up. For all the usual reasons looking for alternatives within academia itself is just a non-starter.
  10. TusitalaH

    TusitalaH New commenter

    I agree and I definitely plan to come back and get QTS, and do the induction year as well.


    I don't finish my PhD until December this year (maybe a bit later, you know how these things are), so doing a PGCE would mean not going for two years. We're keen to go and get the international experience now while we're young and relatively untied down - even if this means me teaching in a language school, or just helping a bit with EAL in my partner's school.

    If I was going to finish the PhD in August then I'd probably do as you say and get the PGCE, although I have to say the idea of going straight from PhD to PGCE (with my viva still to complete) makes me feel tired just thinking about it. I'm looking forward to a bit of a break from writing essays!

    I understand that PGCE QTS is the ideal and it's definitely something I will get in the near future, assuming I want to pursue this career long-term.

Share This Page