1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Phasing out IEPs for SA

Discussion in 'Special educational needs' started by Sleepyone, Feb 12, 2012.

1. Hi all
    I desperately want to phase out IEPs for our SA children because as a staff we feel they really useless documents! We now plan our SEN provision as a whole school so surely we don't actually need them? However I am scared of ditching them and then being hauled over the coals bf Ofsted when they next appear! What do I need to show in my provision mapping to enable me to justify this lack of paper work? I am sure all my parents will be happy, but I need to know that as a school we will not be criticised. Would my provision map need to detail children's names or is the timetable sufficient?Any guidance would be very gratefully received!

Thanks
    Mands

2. Hi all
    I desperately want to phase out IEPs for our SA children because as a staff we feel they really useless documents! We now plan our SEN provision as a whole school so surely we don't actually need them? However I am scared of ditching them and then being hauled over the coals bf Ofsted when they next appear! What do I need to show in my provision mapping to enable me to justify this lack of paper work? I am sure all my parents will be happy, but I need to know that as a school we will not be criticised. Would my provision map need to detail children's names or is the timetable sufficient?Any guidance would be very gratefully received!

Thanks
    Mands

3. Ruthie66

Ruthie66 New commenter

if what they are getting is not additional to and different from the differentiation that is going on in class then I wouldn't have thought you needed them. IEPs are only to specify what if different or extra that the child is getting. If you can clearly show how their needs are being met by good practice in the classroom I would think that you can justify it to OFSTED.

4. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

We used to do group IEPs for the SA students, linked to the group interventions that took place. At the time, there were 40 students with statements, 56 at SA+ and 60 at SA, so doing all those IEPs three times a year was difficult.

5. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

Ensure that it is a map and not a list of things in situ . Identify a destination ie outcomes / impact criteria.Have seen so many examples of so called Provision Maps which detail what folk are doing . My reaction to that would be ' so what' ? .... Agree completely that IEP s at SA frequently a waste of space .

6. Thanks for your responses.
    Minnie me you sound as though you know what to look for in a provision map (I think ours at the moment just shows the interventions that are run whereas the timetable shows who does what and for how long, I also have produced intervention plans for each group - does that sound enough?) Do you by any chance have an example that I might look at please? I've researched loads on the Internet and just haven't found one that suits! I suppose I should just design my own (but I can't get on with Excel).
    Many thanks
    amanda@thesimpsons.wanadoo.co.uk

7. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

You may want to consider costing the interventions too -often contentious but a worthwhile exercise in my opinion. Shall send you what I did in a former life when I can access the material to morrow.

8. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

u have mail

9. minnie me

Could you please email me your info on IEPs and provision maps?

thanks
    ryvita1@yahoo.co.uk

10. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

Should both have mail

11. Hi Minnie. Would it be possible to also send me a copy too. Just returning back to work after having 5 years break, just keen to bring myself up to speed with latest paperwork ideas and resources.

Many thanks,
    Louise
    loudixon2001@yahoo.com

12. I'd really appreciate some direction as want to move from IEPs to Provision Map, too. If you wouldn't mind sending the same to me that would be great - thanks in anticipation :) vanessa_uae@hotmail.com

13. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

eri / hm - u have mail

14. Viane

Viane New commenter

15. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

Mail Jen

16. peepo

peepo New commenter

Hi
    Could I have a copy too please.
    Have heard about people replacing IEPs with detailed provision maps and would love to see an example of one - really want to try and reduce paperwork for everyone.
    Thanks
    Gemma.
    gem.r@hotmail.co.uk

17. Could you possibly email me your information too? Thank you so much. :) shalala@manx.net

18. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

Shalala mail as opposed to Tyra mail !

19. Hi minnie me. I'm new to the role and struggling to find an effective prov map. Could you share please?

mrneillcampbell@hotmail.co.uk

Thanks in advance :)