1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Phased return

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by moggycat, Apr 29, 2020.

1. moggycat

moggycat New commenter

So when schools do return it will be on a phased return. But how will this work for teachers with children if they are at school but their children haven't returned yet? I don't have any local family to help and my husband works. It's worrying me.

Sally006 and Rachelmbx like this.
  2. becky70

becky70 Occasional commenter

You're a teacher and therefore a key worker. Your children's school should accept them back if you need to work and have no other childcare options.

DYNAMO67, bella2891, Flanks and 5 others like this.
  3. moggycat

moggycat New commenter

Thank you. Didn't even think of it like that.

bombaysapphire and agathamorse like this.
  4. Abitofeverything

Abitofeverything Occasional commenter

Some primary schools though, like the one my children attend, said they didn't have enough key worker children to stay open, so are completely closed. I'm not sure what any teacher parents expected back to work could do. For parents, there is also the problem of families with more than one child in different year groups or across different schools. Unless both/all of their children are back in school on the same days, it isn't going to help them return to work.

5. Skeoch

Skeoch Star commenter

Our local tiny primaries are running a hub system - one school functioning with a rota of staff from all the schools in the group. This sort of system can solve the problems.

madcatlady likes this.
  6. BigFrizz

BigFrizz New commenter

Once they reopen to more children though it shouldn’t be an issue to have key worker children on site because they are open anyway. I’d like to think so anyway.

bombaysapphire and Piranha like this.
  7. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

Once the lockdown is eased, and more employers start expecting staff to come in to work, this could be an issue for many people, not just teachers. It may be possible for people to coordinate the days they go to work with the days their children go to school. But it won't be easy.

8. madcatlady

madcatlady Occasional commenter

My daughter is in year 7 at a different school and takes a public bus to get there.
    When I am on rota in my own secondary school I simply take her with me to mine at the moment.
    If we return phased I will carry on taking her to my work (my HT is very reasonable) until she can return to her own school.

Her own school said she could have a place there but any key worker children would have to attend full time to take advantage of the scheme because they could not be expected to organise an ad hoc system. When in they would be supervised to do own study in the hall. This was very effective in putting us all off sending our kids in at all (and I felt a bit churlish, but there we are).

I'm surprised that a school has closed altogether, I was under the impression that we were supposed to provide some kind of cover.

9. TheHeadteachersOffice

TheHeadteachersOffice New commenter

It is clear that schools cannot go back ‘to normal’ until a vaccine is in place. Therefore, there will have to be new and innovative ways of doing things.

From what I’m hearing, the most likely scenario is to split classes in two. You’d then have half of the students in Monday- Wednesday and the rest Thursday- Saturday.

I believe shortening holidays to around 6-8 weeks per year is also being looked at to make up for the learning time missed.

Clearly, working 6 days a week and having fewer holidays is going to be a big change for staff. But I think we all have a duty to our students and to the country to do our bit to help during this difficult time.

I’m afraid I cannot see any realistic prospect of pay increase or such, and I think it is not an appropriate juncture for staff to be demanding these. The government is facing enormous financial demands and pressures.

In any event, I suspect most teachers are not working their full contracted hours atthe moment, so the extra work in futurewould simply be a case of making up time.

10. Catgirl1964

Catgirl1964 Occasional commenter

Oh, not again! You’ve come up with all this controversial stuff before. Nobody react and and he might disappear.

11. agathamorse

agathamorse Senior commenter

I'm working my contracted hours and more to deliver lessons, respond to messages from students and parents, mark work, mark internal exams, do data drops, write reports and respond to emails from colleagues. It's exhausting, more so than normal teaching as creating lessons the pupils can do at home, fully understand and make progress is very time consuming.

koali, IanG, Wotton and 6 others like this.
  12. brush75

brush75 New commenter

Good luck re-writing the timetable to do that anyway if they're going to be socially distanced in class. We've been looking at only (the whole of) Year 10 and Year 12 in, and it's a pain in the whatever even with that many in only two different years.

agathamorse likes this.
  13. Catgirl1964

Catgirl1964 Occasional commenter

Please quote the correct post, brush75

14. letap

letap Occasional commenter

Unlike you, most teachers on this site have other things in their life like family. friends, partners, etc who they like to spend time with. Clearly you spend your time sitting in your underpants contemplating your belly button fluff whilst trolling this site at all hours of the day, that, however, is not as impactful as the load borne by responsible members of society such as teachers.

15. teapot24

teapot24 New commenter

*Sings* I see trees of green...:D

meggyd, IanG, phlogiston and 10 others like this.
  16. brush75

brush75 New commenter

Whoops, sorry - the forums I'm used to posting on automatically quote the whole thread!

17. peakster

peakster Star commenter

We're having an online staff meeting later to consider a list of alternatives as to how we can teach the kids when they return.

Some of them really are Wacky Races

Having said that I'll be more than happy to go back.

18. dumpty

dumpty Star commenter

Only a gut feeling but I felt Boris was indeed pre-warning that schools would open on June 1st in his talk yesterday.

Why?

We know the ed minister has said schools will get 3 weeks notice. Boris then said his plan next week would include schools (for example) and other measures. He did not say it meant they WOULD open but the curious thing for me is he named schools first and....

....his official announcement will be on May 7, which is 3 weeks before the day headteachers have also said is (somewhat) acceptable....June 1st or so.

(I don't think it will be a full re-opening but certainly one that has kids back and more staff in the classroom)

19. ukpaul

ukpaul Occasional commenter

They'll increase the number of people whose jobs will restart and those will be added to the list of those already able to be in school. Nothing else makes sense.

For the economy, having certain years and days on and off causes more problems than it solves, educationally having split weeks and days whilst many remain at home destroys the amount of education they are getting. Both are insane 'solutions'.

As neither of those are in any way credible, having an extra group in school thus allowing more shops and other safe businesses to open is both doable and non destructive.

strawbs and dumpty like this.
  20. ACOYEAR8

ACOYEAR8 Star commenter

Where's my mask....

Happyregardless likes this.