1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Phased return to work...

Discussion in 'Headteachers' started by Marshall, Mar 9, 2019.

1. digoryvenn

digoryvenn Lead commenter

I agree with Cornflake and Sundaytrekker. Your C of G is dealing with it all in the wrong order, this is so wrong.

Please do not resign. The governors are in the wrong for not carrying out your appraisal correctly. You need union advice very quickly. Does your external advisor know about the support plan? You can't have a support plan and appraisal targets at the same time. The C of G is wrong to say the support plan should not be mentioned.

I am so sorry Marshall. Please don't resign.

Lara mfl 05 and Sundaytrekker like this.
  2. Sundaytrekker

Sundaytrekker Star commenter

Are you ok, Marshall?

Lara mfl 05 and digoryvenn like this.
  3. Marshall

Marshall Star commenter

I have resigned - wef Christmas when I will retire. No support plan now, govs are totally shocked. It's right for me and the school. Feel relieved.

4. Sundaytrekker

Oh, Marshall. The pressure all round has been horrendous for you. I can’t help but feel they’ve pushed you into it though. I don’t blame you for feeling relieved.

Lara mfl 05, digoryvenn and Marshall like this.
  5. Marshall

Marshall Star commenter

Sundaytrekker - I don't feel pressurised - I am going on my terms and the job is not what I want to do any more.

I am sad but my era as head and the type of head they expect is not me - that's why I'm going.

Best of all - I'm doing this for ME (and the children at my school).

6. digoryvenn

Oh Marshall, I am so sorry to hear this. It must have been a very difficult decision to make. I hope you have done the right thing for you. I am glad you feel relieved.

You say the govs are totally shocked. They should be thoroughly ashamed of themselves!

Take care.

7. Marshall

Marshall Star commenter

Actually the decision was easy to make DV. Education as it is nowadays is not what I want it to be - I feel we are failing our children - they have little enjoyment in being at school. I have always provided this for the children under my care - enjoyment, a wide and balanced curriculum and staff who are not afraid to adapt so they can provide this.

Since we have had local authority involvement following my accident this is no longer the case. It's learning, assessment, lessons etc - we have even been advised to get rid of golden time so the children can fit 'extra learning in'.

I have reversed this as far as I can but local authority contact still continues and their authority is paramount - impending OFSTED, etc, etc.

Can't say any more, but I am so happy with my decision.

8. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Having been away, have only just caught up on this thread.

What digoryvenn says

those governors deserve to be shocked after the way you've been treated,

I can empathize with this as many of us will recognise that schools are no longer the places they were when we trained.

digoryvenn and Marshall like this.
  9. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

It is indeed sad that schools are no longer the places they were, or what most of us would want them to be.

I can understand your relief Marshall, at having made the decision to leave. With so much going on for you, it’s one thing you don’t need to fret over any more and you can plan your retirement from teaching in the best watt for you.

digoryvenn, Lara mfl 05 and Marshall like this.
  10. digoryvenn

I completely understand Marshall. Education is no longer what it ought to be. We are indeed failing our children.

I am really pleased for you that you have made the right decision.

11. marymoocow

marymoocow Star commenter

Good luck Marshall. Schools are certainly not the place I want to teach nowadays.

Marshall, digoryvenn and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  12. Lara mfl 05

Why is it that almost every teacher could tell you that and yet people making the real decisions about schools ie government and Ofsted so often fail to see it?

13. Marshall

Marshall Star commenter

Because they are the power and others are afraid to stand up to them!

digoryvenn and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  14. Marshall

Marshall Star commenter

I have been energised today! I won't now be afraid to question and challenge = already done so today and I think I have energised my deputy head also!

Mad me think - have I made the wrong decision? No absolutely not - it's all about pressure and they no longer have that 'hold' over me so I can speak my mind and I will make sure I do that.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  15. Sundaytrekker

Good for you, Marshall. It sounds as though you have been in conflict between how you want your school to be and the pressures to change and go with other ways. One of the biggest challenges of headship, I found, was to find a way to work within whatever the current trends were but still moving in the direction you want to go. Not an easy course to steer.

Marshall, Lara mfl 05 and digoryvenn like this.
  16. digoryvenn

I'll say, 'good for you' too Marshall.
    It must be relief for you that they no longer have that 'hold' over you. Keep speaking your mind.

Just to let you know, I have an interview at the end of the week for a HT in a small faith school (C of E). I hope it is not a case of out of the frying pan into the fire!

Marshall and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  17. Sundaytrekker

Oh, good luck diggory.

18. marymoocow

marymoocow Star commenter

I found that having my say, getting the truth out to those that mattered, really helped me to recover.

19. digoryvenn

Thank you Sunday!

Marshall and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  20. Lara mfl 05

Let's trust it isn't and provides a really good environment for a successful interview.:)

digoryvenn and Marshall like this.