1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Phased return to work...

Discussion in 'Headteachers' started by Marshall, Mar 9, 2019.

1. Marshall

Marshall Lead commenter

what a joke!

So much either not done or entirely superficial it's not worth anything.

So much more I could say but can't.

Spent all of my 'at home' time catching up and sorting out problems - includes all day today and probably will be the same tomorrow.

'Don't do it' - I can hear you say. Starting to think like that.

2. digoryvenn

digoryvenn Lead commenter

Oh Marshall, I am so sorry and it started so well.

I don't know what to say, you shouldn't have to sort 'the mess' out but no one else will do it.

Thinking of you.

Jesmond12 likes this.
  3. cornflake

cornflake Established commenter

ditto
    but what can you delegate??

4. Marshall

Marshall Lead commenter

It looks like I am going to be put on capability - not surprised but aware that it has taken so long since I have been back.

I thought I would be upset BUT - I'm not and I might just tell them to stuff it and retire anyway.

5. Marshall

Marshall Lead commenter

Or - how do I hang it out long enough to get the best benefit for me?

6. Sundaytrekker

Sundaytrekker Star commenter

Oh Marshall, how awful. Get your union to consider equalities and discrimination and make sure they are involved in meetings. I suppose consider what you want: do you want to make them jump through hoops and spin it out as well or do you want to get the union to negotiate for the best possible settlement and reference to give you the potential option of doing something else in the future. Possibly whilst off sick with stress.

You’ve got a long weekend now and half term coming up. Don’t rush the decision although they might encourage you to rush into it. I have to say I’ve never heard of a headteacher going through capability and surviving in that post. I have heard of them taking the money and going on to retire or (rarely) take another post. Sometimes they take a teaching post instead.

strawbs, digoryvenn and Marshall like this.
  7. Marshall

Marshall Lead commenter

Thanks Sundaytrekker - I won't take another post.

It's early days yet and I have only been 'warned' of this - without prejudice.

If I am actively thinking of retiring anyway then I want the best deal that I can get so any comments are really welcome.

8. Marshall

Marshall Lead commenter

I said I won't take another post (eg supply) but would be interested in ITT observations, etc through our local university.

Still thinking of the options at what it is a really rubbish time! That said I am really quite focused at the moment but no idea why!

9. Sundaytrekker

A head I know got a deal which, as well as the standard number of weeks redundancy allowed also got an extra payment as compensation towards pension she would not pay/gain through leaving. The union at regional level negotiated it.

The ITT option might be useful in the future but is obviously not a teaching contract paying towards TPS.

The timing: well sometimes when we are facing the worst that can happen it gives you more strength and you gain perspective. Sometimes.

Lara mfl 05 and Marshall like this.
  10. Marshall

Marshall Lead commenter

I will get back in touch with my union.

I totally agree with your comment about timing and strength and perspective. I also think it's now my time to go - BUT I want the best deal I can get for me.

11. Marshall

Marshall Lead commenter

I can claim my pension from February 2020. The ITT option would be an extra and has always been something of a passion for me - I did my NPQH study some 14 years ago on this subject!

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  12. Sundaytrekker

If that’s the earliest you can claim your pension then you might want to drag it out a bit. I know one teacher, not a head, who a few years ago got two years salary worth of compensation. I really don’t know how he managed that. It’s not usual. Yes, definitely, definitely get the union for every formal meeting.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  13. digoryvenn

Wow! That is so awful. How could they do this to you?
    I am so sorry this is happening.

I hope your union can negotiate the best outcome for you.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  14. Marshall

Marshall Lead commenter

DV - after what you went through then nothing surprises me any more!

Lara mfl 05 and digoryvenn like this.
  15. digoryvenn

I agree!

I am trying to find another post and I don't know why I am bothering to be honest!

ITT sounds good. I have thought of doing this but nothing available in my area at the moment.

Don't make it easy for the school and fight them all the way!

It must be so stressful for you and you seem to be very strong at the moment. but I am worried for you Marshall that you don't suddenly metaphorically 'collapse in a heap on the flloor' because of all the stress.

I hope the union are supporting you.
    Take care, thinking of you.

16. Marshall

Marshall Lead commenter

DV - I often take some strength from you and what you wet through.

Collapsing in a heap - I really think I did this last year which led to all this and was made worse by my shoulder accident.

I have got to admit I am tired.

xx

digoryvenn likes this.
  17. Marshall

Marshall Lead commenter

wet=went!

digoryvenn likes this.
  18. digoryvenn

Thank you Marshall.

You must be absolutely exhausted.

Lara mfl 05 and Marshall like this.
  19. Sundaytrekker

Marshall, if you’ve only been ‘warned’ maybe they have autumn appraisals as the time to start addressing it. Or maybe in your mid year review if that is still to come. Just thinking about possible timescales for you.

Lara mfl 05, Marshall and digoryvenn like this.
  20. digoryvenn

I hope they haven't said to you ' if you don't leave, you will be put on capability'.

That is despicable and maybe constructive dismissal. That is probably why they said 'without prejudice', to cover themselves.