1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Phased return to work?

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by Peanut182, Feb 21, 2012.

1. I'm a regular poster, I just changed my username...........
    After a fracture, the dr said I could work again if a 'phased return'.My HT and I agreed over the phone - and it was put in writing and I have my copy - that I would work mornings this week, mornings next week and a full week the one after.
    This week I have been in working mornings. I found out from a colleague that the HT had texted her in the holiday, saying I would be working full-time next week. I showed my colleague the letter saying next week would be mornings only. She was surprised and went to check with the HT. HT said I'm working full-time next week.
    Can she do that? And what's the best way to challenge her? We don't have a good relationship. Obviously I've been talking about how happy I am to be back, which doesn't really square with me wanting to work mornings next week. But I want our agreement to be honoured, and I'm annoyed that I only found out she's decided it's all different because a colleague told me! In one sense I feel I don't have much to lose with her, in another sense I think, what if I make our relationship even worse?
    Thanks

2. langteacher

langteacher Occasional commenter

If you have it in writing then go home at the end of the morning

3. Haha. Seriously, though!
    I live in hope she might stop hating me before July. I'm a romantic.

4. giraffe

giraffe New commenter

The phased return was arranged on the advice of your doctor and you aren't legally allowed to do more than that. You would not be covered by the school's insurance, for example, if anythng happened that made the condition worse.
    Email your HT about how you are looking forward to returning for the mornings as arranged and that if this goes well, you will hopefully be going back to your doctor soon to get signed back as fully fit.
    Don't let her bully you into going against doctors advice.
    Being clear about things like this will be good for your HT in learning some respect for her staff!

5. Thanks so much for yr reply. I know it's a bad attitude, to want to be off work, but it is what we arranged, and maybe if she was a bit nicer, I'd be willing to go out of my way. I'm not in school tomorrow (to be precise, the deal was mornings only+Wednesday off for the first two weeks), so I was thinking: should I text her? I don't have an email address for her, we do text a bit if we need to talk out of school. 'Hello, just wanted to confirm arrangements for next week, wondered if there may have been a misunderstanding.... etc'? Feel like trying to catch her on Thur is a bit late. Also I find myself jibbering like an *** a lot when we speak.Really appreciate yr reply.Smthg about that school makes me very stressy and unable to think straight!! Thanks very much again

6. giraffe

giraffe New commenter

Get in touch with your union caseworker for advice. They can contact the school on your behalf in situations like this when the school is putting unreasonable pressure on you. Your school shouldn't really be making any demands at all if you have been signed off. They may request an OH referral or further review, but you can get advice from union caseworker on that beforehand.
    Good luck.
    It's sad, but it's happening to thousands of teachers all over the country. It's not you!