1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Phased return issues!!

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by victoriaewen2301, Nov 17, 2018.

1. victoriaewen2301

victoriaewen2301 New commenter

Hi all, I’m in a bit of a predicament!

I’ve been signed off work for the last 8 weeks with hyperemesis with my pregnancy but including he summer holidays I have been suffering for about 17 weeks.

I’m now at a point where I feel I can go back to work and they have suggested a phased return which I am completely happy with. My issue is that I went into work yesterday (Friday), to discuss this and no decision was made before I had left. I said that I would feel comfortable doing half days for the first week and gradually build up and let my body catch up when it’s ready. I’ve received an email today that, without my input, they have come up with the following plan:
    Monday- half day
    Tuesday - full day
    Wednesday - half day
    Thursday - full day
    Friday - half day

My anxiety levels have hit overdrive now as my body has been the equivalent of a couch potatoes for the past 17 weeks with not being able to eat/drink/sleep and being constantly sick all the time.

Does anyone know where I stand with this situation? I’m quite angry that they didn’t get back to me until a Saturday which means I have to means of communication from them until I return to work on Monday!

Thanks in advance

2. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Star commenter

I don't know where you stand legally, but this does seem very rushed to me. When I had a phased return (for completely different reasons), the HTs suggestion was that it was over a month - week 1, 3 mornings; week 2, every morning; week 3, until 2 pm then back to full time in week 4. HT also requested a quick meeting every Friday to ensure everything was going well and I was feeling OK. This was very supportive.
    Can you email your HT over the weekend to request at least one week of mornings only? Perhaps give your midwife a call first, then you can say this is what medical professionals have suggested. Hope it gets sorted and you continue to feel better.