1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Phased retirement - restrictions?

Discussion in 'Retirement' started by bobakabob, Sep 24, 2017.

1. bobakabob

bobakabob New commenter

Dear all,
    I'm working in FE, 56 soon and considering phased retirement in July, reducing from a 0.6 to a 0.36 contract and releasing 75% of my pension. I've taken account of the actuarial reduction for early retirement.

My energy levels and stamina aren't what they were though I still enjoy teaching. I also work 1 day a week on a temporary contract for 200 annual hours at an HE institution. Although I'm not guaranteed this work it's likely I'd be offered hours in successive years.

My question is, If I reduce my hours in my main role on a phased teaching basis am I restricted regarding taking on any external temporary contracts or agency work such as the example above? How is such work e.g zero hours taken into account?

If anyone can clarify what is allowed and what isn't regarding phased retirement I'd be very grateful. Would I be "locked into" an income ceiling or be better off going for full retirement?

2. emerald52

emerald52 Star commenter

Ask your human resources department.

3. bobakabob

bobakabob New commenter

To anyone researching this, you can phase retirement and if you need to top up on a separate contract not connected with Teachers Pensions it's ok to do so.