1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Phase retiring in September... advice?

Discussion in 'Retirement' started by Beauherne1990, Jul 12, 2020.

1. Beauherne1990

Beauherne1990 New commenter

I am planning to phase retire in September (if TPS eventually sort it out) and will be part-time at my current school. I will be reducing my working life to three days a week. For the first time ever I won't have a class or an office as a base because I am being deployed to cover PPA and subject leader release. Although I am looking forward to this new episode of my career, I am slightly apprehensive about losing my class teacher responsibility. Any advice from others who have followed this kind of route? In fact any insight into having a successful phased retirement would be great...

2. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

I did miss my class teacher role (primary) when I moved school and out of my own classroom but because you are known by the children I think you will enjoy getting to know the whole school as time goes by. When taking assembly I could call on virtually every child by name at one stage which I loved. You also get to know the families in a slightly different way as you know the brothers and sisters. It is different though so you will have to remember what you are gaining as well as what you are losing. You are doing this for you - your health, your pension, maybe your family so let it become "the job" without beating yourself up about it.

Kateray1 and Beauherne1990 like this.
  3. Kateray1

Kateray1 Occasional commenter

I have had both roles doing HLTA work with full teacher class responsibilities and cover for whole school.
    You get used to going to a room where you just take a register and hand out work a Class teacher Has prepared.

It takes away the responsibility yes, but you gain home time not marking and preparing work. I loved both my roles.
    The hardest thing was the day the new teacher came and literally took over my classroom when I was stood there, stripping all my boards moving my files from my desk and all with the permission of the HOD, who said ‘we all have to share resources’ and walked off!

I left the school shortly after this and now work as a supply tutor and self employed private tutor.

Beauherne1990 likes this.