1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Phase One Phonics.. any NEW ideas????

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by kate2york, Mar 4, 2011.

1. This is my first year with 3-4s and we do a phonics session 4 times a week for about 10 minutes or so. It seems to be really working and dispite all but one being EAL, they are really getting the hang of rhyme and sounds.
    The problem is now I am running out of fresh ideas and on every website or resource I come across the ideas are just the Letters and Sounds suggested ones which are great but I feel like I need some fresh inspiration! If anyone has tried anything new that works I would love to hear about it, thank you!

2. This is my first year with 3-4s and we do a phonics session 4 times a week for about 10 minutes or so. It seems to be really working and dispite all but one being EAL, they are really getting the hang of rhyme and sounds.
    The problem is now I am running out of fresh ideas and on every website or resource I come across the ideas are just the Letters and Sounds suggested ones which are great but I feel like I need some fresh inspiration! If anyone has tried anything new that works I would love to hear about it, thank you!

3. Dawsons_Stuff, whilst there is <u>no expectation that within Phase 1 children make the link to the letter symbol for the speech sounds</u> there is absolutely no evidence that doing so with the type of materials produced by Debbie Hepplewhite with 'Teeny Reading Seeds' will 'turn children off'. Actually, Phase one of L&S is nothing to do with teaching reading -it's pointless 'phonological awareness' exercises.

4. Msz

Msz Established commenter

Personally I would like all the bliddy phases scrapped!
    Phase 1 is the type of thing that should be happening naturally in any good classroom but does it really need to be split into Aspects!