1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Phase 6 phonics

Discussion in 'Primary' started by SmileySmiley, Mar 13, 2011.

1. Does anyone have any ways of organising this in a year 2 classroom. I had to spend the 1st term finishing off phase 5 in my class as it hadnt been covered in year 1 however the letters and sounds document is very vague about phase 6. I have a vague idea of what Im doing however if anyone has any resources/ideas/websites they use Id very much appreciate it.

I teach higher ability literacy and their spelling is pretty good anyway. Iv been covering spelling patters in last few weeks that I noticed a lot were struggling with (sure, tch etc..) and I have covered the phase 6 adding ed and s but none of it seems as fun and interactive as the phase 5 stuff.
    Doodles

2. Does anyone have any ways of organising this in a year 2 classroom. I had to spend the 1st term finishing off phase 5 in my class as it hadnt been covered in year 1 however the letters and sounds document is very vague about phase 6. I have a vague idea of what Im doing however if anyone has any resources/ideas/websites they use Id very much appreciate it.

I teach higher ability literacy and their spelling is pretty good anyway. Iv been covering spelling patters in last few weeks that I noticed a lot were struggling with (sure, tch etc..) and I have covered the phase 6 adding ed and s but none of it seems as fun and interactive as the phase 5 stuff.
    Doodles

3. inq

inq

http://www.phonicsplay.co.uk/Phase6Menu.htm has got a couple of free games for phase 6.
    We subscribe as a school and the children love the games. I'm in Y1 so we don't use phase 6, just thought it might be useful.

4. clawthorpegirl

clawthorpegirl New commenter

Download Support for Spelling guidance, takes over from end of Phase 5 L&S and much clearer than L&S Phase 6.

5. We recently got told by ofsted that phonics play was no good because it didn't give children any feedback or correct their mistakes.
    Not sure if anyone else has been told similar?

6. Msz

Msz Established commenter

Isn't that the teacher's job?

7. TOWIB

TOWIB New commenter

lots of phonics play games have scores so you can see how they have done. The flashcards have printable sheets with graphemes that they got correct and those they need to practise. I do also agree that you need to assess as you deliver each phonics lesson. Phonics play is only a resource not the whole lesson.